Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trying to decide a species of Sarracenia for here in Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to decide a species of Sarracenia for here in Florida

Greetings. Now that fall is approaching, I'm planning on starting a mini/microbog on my outdoor porch. I plan to prepare this during the winter when the Sarracenia are dormant.

Now, this will be a small (8 inch wide free-standing pot) minibog. I want to have a Sarracenia species in it, but only one species for uniformity.

I'm debating between Sarracenia flava or Sarracenia minor.

I think flava would look best if I have several flavas in the pot, like this:

However, I live in central Florida (Tampa area) where it gets really hot here in the summer and I'm wondering if it might get too hot for flava in the summer. On the other hand, Sarracenia minor grows at this latitude and would be better adapted for the higher temps. Further, I hear minor doesn't require as much sun as flava which helps because my back porch has alot of vegitation and trees.

However, I've been very unlucky with minor in the past, mostly due to overwatering.

So, which species should I get? Flava or minor?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Central Texas and we've been under a severe drought with 100+ degree temperatures daily, so I acquired a pretty good understanding of, at least in my conditions, which Sarracenia are fairly tolerant of heat. Sarracenia flavas have been the best performers for me by far... whereas I have lost 3 Sarracenia leucophyllas. Additionally, Sarracenia alabamensis did not do so well and Sarracenia jonesii got scorched as well.

The bottom line though is this... if you can top water daily, they should be fine. I noticed a huge difference when top watering vs just letting their roots absorb water from the tub they were sitting in.

Oh yeah, the minor thing... they are so hardy for me it is ridiculous. Never had a problem with overwatering or too much heat.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Flava, my patio gets HOT in the full sun, and it has never phased my Flava one bit. I just make sure to water it a couple times a day when its super hot(even though its sitting in water, just to cool the roots down).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flava, minor, psittacina, leucophylla, rosea, or alata will work well. Psittacina in particular will do well in high heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolfn: contact me. I live in Central Florida and I can tell you what plants do best, what to pot them in, how much sun they need and all of that. If you don't live too far, you might be able to come over and I just might have a plant you can have as I usually have extra's, and they're all acclimated all ready.