User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus: A Few Days From Flowering . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently harvesting seeds from mine. Thankully, I have flowers in different stages of development, so I don't have too many issues getting them pollinated. One issue I have is collecting the seeds.....it tends to blow away of you aren't there to harvest it in time....soon I'll find little ceph seedlings coming up in my nep pots.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    One issue I have is collecting the seeds.....it tends to blow away of you aren't there to harvest it in time....
    I agree - it is a pain. If I try to harvest them early, sometimes they stay stuck in the capsule. If I wait until the pod goes 'Starfish', a tiny breeze can take them away before I get there.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    This is what I did my 1st year. Every day I was out there with my brush pretending to be a bee. The end result: some flowers were pollinated & some weren't (& some had a few seeds develop - not a full set). Some of the time my brush just got gunked up with flower nectar. The next several years I allowed the native bees to do all the work and I got just as many or more seeds . . .

Within a few hours of my evicting some spiders from the area (which may or may not have found their way to flytraps; who's to say?), a few tiny syrphrid flies began to show up and spent some. eh, quality time with the flowers. I could almost hear the Barry White . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"
    Last edited by BigBella; 08-17-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks more like a fly to me. a flower fly syrphrid fly. Group is interesting. larvae are voracious aphid predators. Adults are hymenopteran mimics. also pollinate flowers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    looks more like a fly to me. a flower fly syrphrid fly. Group is interesting. larvae are voracious aphid predators. Adults are hymenopteran mimics. also pollinate flowers.
    Yeah, thanks, Kula, I thought that was probably so -- a mimic . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mesh bag over the flowers before the seeds ripen will catch any stray seeds. Try a arts and crafts stores usually in the wedding/bridal section. The come in a variety of sizes and colors.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    A mesh bag over the flowers before the seeds ripen will catch any stray seeds. Try a arts and crafts stores usually in the wedding/bridal section. The come in a variety of sizes and colors.
    Thanks Warren. I am trying to recall what I used last time . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    A few years ago, I tried to use a mesh that Phil from Meadowview recommended (he uses to bag Sarr flowers) and the reduction in air circulation caused the flowers to get moldy (although I believe a finer one would probably work). Also the mesh would be a double-edged sword. While it would catch the 1st seeds, it would keep the next ones in line from being pollinated since there is a steady progression ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast