What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus: A Few Days From Flowering . . .

Here is a Cephalotus flower-stalk -- one of several plants preparing to bloom, taken this afternoon. It has been a few years since I bothered to collect seed; but I am looking forward to that in couple of months . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant" -- 20 July
CEPH-2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! You gonna try and grow all those seeds?

Very nice. I assume cephs can self pollinate?

im looking forward to you collecting seed too. :D

Nice!.....I pollinated most of most of my ceph flowers and now they are forming seeds.

They took 9 months to sprout?!?!? :ohno:

They took 9 months to sprout?!?!? :ohno:

That batch certainly did; though usually, they take a couple of months. When Cephalotus set seed in the wild, they usually germinate that following Spring -- months off . . .

A few days? More like a full month, you slackers!

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"
HGFLOWER.jpg

Dont forget to make seeds and send them to me D:.

What a healthy plant and flower you have, there! I did not know that Cephalotus flowers could have a pink tinge to them.

do i see spidermite webbing on your stalk sir?

No, Jon, an actual full-on spider whose elaborate webbing stretched from the Cephalotus plants to some Sarracenia . . .

Awesomesauce!

A few days? More like a full month, you slackers!
The insane heat this year accelerated my flowers (14 stalks this year - a record for me). I've been collecting seed for several weeks and have at least a week or two more...

Every year, I have a spider who sits on top of each stalk (although a few do spin webs between stalks) guarding their mini-domain. The little bums ignore aphids. My largest stalk became infested before I noticed. Another also started a colony but thankfully I got them early.

Very nice. I assume cephs can self pollinate?
Good question - from what I've seen, I don't think so. The stamens & stigma mature at different times**. I'm not certain that the pollen is still viable when the stigma matures (by that time, mine typically has changed color). I also believe that I've read of people who grow in greenhouses getting no seed. This year, I spent some time studying the flower progression from opening through seed set. It was very interesting and would probably make for a decent photo-essay (for someone with a decent macro setup). I also got to see a wider variety of pollinators visiting than I had noticed in prior years.

** In BB's flower pic, you can see pollen on the flower at ~4:30 on a stamen at ~4:00. They are two yellow/orange dots on the lower-inside of the stamen. The stigma will eventually open in a few days (similar to how a VFT's stamen opens) and the pollen will typically be brown or not easily visible by that time.

Before anyone asks, seeds will be available from the ICPS seedbank in a week or three.

Last edited:
Here is a shot of the pollination of the tiny Cephalotus flowers. It is done on an almost daily basis, until the ovules begin to visibly swell and/or the flowers close. Say what you will about James and Patricia Pietropaulo and their Carnivorous Plants of the World (they rightfully or wrongly caught a rash of scheiß over the years for a number of different reasons); but, regardless, I learned a great deal from that old book, which preceded D' Amato and The Savage Garden by two or three years: the pollination of carnivorous plants; the division of Sarracenia and cultivation of Heliamphora; raising plalnts from seed; and that of potting mixes long before the advent of the internet or the recent popular resurgence of these plants.

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"
CEPHPOLLINATION.jpg

Last edited:
The insane heat this year accelerated my flowers (14 stalks this year - a record for me). I've been collecting seed for several weeks and have at least a week or two more...

Before anyone asks, seeds will be available from the ICPS seedbank in a week or three.

Thank you Ron. The ICPS seedbank works because of tireless people like yourself.

Mahalo,

MTF

cephs are so cool, hope you get lots of viable seed :)

Back