What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curious about my dry sarracenia

I purchased a sarracenia...i cut off the ugly pitchers, they had been crushed in a small dome. Finally my new growth is coming back. They mature quite well...up until the production of the actual pitchers. They keep looking crisp and dry. Everything else on each new growth looks fine..just the pitcher heads. What am i doing wrong??? Please someone help me. Thanx much :)

Maybe they aren't fully acclimated to lower humidity? Some of my Sarrs are looking a bit crispy that I let get too dry. Are you able to upload a picture?

A description of your growing conditions and approximate location would be helpful.

I live in southern california..specifically simi valley. We have hot summers and our winters are not too cold. More rainy if anything. I keep my sarracenia in a deep glass vase.my growing medium is peet moss and perlite. I keep them outside in the bright indirect sunlight till around 9 pm. I bring them inside the house for the night. I have not provided a top for extra humidity. I do not the the exact species. I bought it home homedepot (classic rookie mistake) lol. The label said purpurea...but i do not think thats what i have. Mineare very slender and erect. Green...the top pitcher was copper before it was burnt. I am new to this forum and not sure how to upload a picture of them. :)

I'm thinking the constant transferring from outiside to inside is counter-productive. They should really be left outside until or if they will be experiencing deep freezes.

We've got growers in the San Fernando Valley and I think Don (can't remember his last name) is up Simi Valley way. He's been growing Carnivorous Plants forever, used to be just about the person you could get them from in So Cal.

You should be able to grow it outdoors all year around. Plants from Home Depot and the like should be slowly acclimated to full sunlight as they can get sunburn - if severe enough it can set their growth back.

The peat moss and perlite are fertilizer free I take it.

Come by the LACPS meeting August 20 in Alhambra and I'll give you a couple plants.

thats so awesome to know that there are experienced CP growers so close!! =D and thanx for the advice on the sarracenia...i definiely should find a more permanent spot. I get all scared to leave them out at night as if they r babies and they r goingto get cold. Lol would it be wise to provide a lid for the vase at night??? And the growing medium is 100% fertilizer free..i only water with distilled water. And i would be MORE than delighted to attend the LACPS meeting in august. =D

I get all scared to leave them out at night as if they r babies and they r goingto get cold.

"too cold" to stay outside overnight for Sarracenia means below freezing! ;)
if its above 32 degrees F at night it is WARM as far as Sarracenia are concerned! ;)

actually, my cutoff temp for bringing them indoors at night is 29 degrees F..
If I see 30 degrees and a light frost in the forecast, they stay outside..

Scot

well..they will definitely be happy staying out tonight :) i know in simi valley it rarely gets below freezing. This is my first year growing carnivorous plants, just learning from my mistakes. Im doing rather well with my 2 VFT's. :)

Sarracenia are tougher than you'll think. They probably are S. purpurea, just deprived of light for a long time. S. purpurea are also found as far north as the 64 parallel in Canada, so cold weather is no big deal for them. I'd take them out of the vase and put them in a plastic pot. The glass is probably what is causing the burning.

The glass has always worried me..for thee fact it could act as a magnifying effect. I'm taking that advice and trnasplating tomorrow. I have another sarracenia in a round glass deep dish...same story. Would it be fine to transplant together in the same pot?? Also, what to d with the pitchers that are burnt?? Only the top is..but for the most part it is still green.

Leave them be, the green parts will photosynthesize which the plant needs. They may be unsightly but I don't think trimming off the brown parts looks much better. Once you get some healthy leaves grown out you can trim them off.

Thanx much for the advice. Really helped me out. Im transplanting both pitcher plants today into pots. Very excited! =D

Photo would be useful.

a photo would be useful, been trying to figure out how to post an attatchement. I only have a mobile browser at the moment, not the full net usage. so unfortunetely my options are limited. if u have any advice for posting pictures that would be nice :)

Dont be scared to leave it outside. :) They do live outside in nature ya know. hehe.

5800984840_0ec4df21fc_o.jpg

and the same plant this summer
5838528646_8bc6995a79_o.jpg

lol...you couldnt be more right brie. Im finding out they are delicate plants, but at the same time not. I have seen a HUGE improvement since i transplanted them into a pot and put them in the sun. :) makes me very very happy. Beautiful photos by thee way. Personal???

lol...you couldnt be more right brie. Im finding out they are delicate plants, but at the same time not. I have seen a HUGE improvement since i transplanted them into a pot and put them in the sun. :) makes me very very happy. Beautiful photos by thee way. Personal???

Good, glad to hear. :)

Yeah, they're photos of my S. purpurea venosa.. One taken last winter when it snows tons, and the second taken this spring/summer(forget when I took it).

Back