Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious about my dry sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious about my dry sarracenia

I purchased a sarracenia...i cut off the ugly pitchers, they had been crushed in a small dome. Finally my new growth is coming back. They mature quite well...up until the production of the actual pitchers. They keep looking crisp and dry. Everything else on each new growth looks fine..just the pitcher heads. What am i doing wrong Please someone help me. Thanx much

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they aren't fully acclimated to lower humidity? Some of my Sarrs are looking a bit crispy that I let get too dry. Are you able to upload a picture?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A description of your growing conditions and approximate location would be helpful.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in southern california..specifically simi valley. We have hot summers and our winters are not too cold. More rainy if anything. I keep my sarracenia in a deep glass vase.my growing medium is peet moss and perlite. I keep them outside in the bright indirect sunlight till around 9 pm. I bring them inside the house for the night. I have not provided a top for extra humidity. I do not the the exact species. I bought it home homedepot (classic rookie mistake) lol. The label said purpurea...but i do not think thats what i have. Mineare very slender and erect. Green...the top pitcher was copper before it was burnt. I am new to this forum and not sure how to upload a picture of them.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking the constant transferring from outiside to inside is counter-productive. They should really be left outside until or if they will be experiencing deep freezes.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got growers in the San Fernando Valley and I think Don (can't remember his last name) is up Simi Valley way. He's been growing Carnivorous Plants forever, used to be just about the person you could get them from in So Cal.

You should be able to grow it outdoors all year around. Plants from Home Depot and the like should be slowly acclimated to full sunlight as they can get sunburn - if severe enough it can set their growth back.

The peat moss and perlite are fertilizer free I take it.

Come by the LACPS meeting August 20 in Alhambra and I'll give you a couple plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats so awesome to know that there are experienced CP growers so close!! =D and thanx for the advice on the sarracenia...i definiely should find a more permanent spot. I get all scared to leave them out at night as if they r babies and they r goingto get cold. Lol would it be wise to provide a lid for the vase at night And the growing medium is 100% fertilizer free..i only water with distilled water. And i would be MORE than delighted to attend the LACPS meeting in august. =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by natasha857 View Post
    I get all scared to leave them out at night as if they r babies and they r goingto get cold.
    "too cold" to stay outside overnight for Sarracenia means below freezing!
    if its above 32 degrees F at night it is WARM as far as Sarracenia are concerned!

actually, my cutoff temp for bringing them indoors at night is 29 degrees F..
    If I see 30 degrees and a light frost in the forecast, they stay outside..

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast