What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cephalotus during winter

I know it's a little early, but I just want to be prepared what do i do with my (tiny) ceph during the winter months, I know they need some sort of resting period, but what conditions does it need to be in, in order for it to go into that "resting period".

Thanks

It actually doesn't need a resting period. It grows year round.

It may slow it's growth a bit, but it grows year round as a sub-tropical plant, like a Nepenthes.

Some have argued that Cephalotus does require some form of dormancy; and that the common die-backs and mediocre results some growers experience, result from a failure to observe it. The climate in its native Western Australia can best be described as meso-Mediterranean -- far closer to that of San Francisco than the sub-tropics. Here is a link to the area:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_009637.shtml

The advice I would give is to back away from the watering during winter and shorten the photo-period by a few hours, if it is grown under lights. If it is grown outside or on a windowsill, there is no need. Seasonal changes in the light will be enough . . .

I always hear the same issue all the time with cephalotus of whether or not they need dormarcy, the way i see it is they don't need a deep dormarcy like the one of the VFT, or don't even need it, however it would be beneficial for the plant to have a rest period with cool temps and the same photoperiod(which is alike to what happens over in australia), but here in the northern hemisphere is different the photoperiod during dormarcy. So i would say as long as you can keep your plant very little moist getting lots of lights and cooler temps.... your plant will do really well! :)

Good luck!

I agree with bigbella in general, but there is one exception to the rule that has been observed. In Berkeley, CA (University Ave, can't remember the name of the shop), there is a hydroponics store, and they are growing the biggest cephalotus I've ever seen. It has never been transplanted, and has been there for a good 3-4 years, and has way overgrown it's 3" pot. All they do is water it with DI water! The plant has never seen daylight, and has always been growing on strong artificial lighting, 24/7! It has never been fertilized-only relies on bugs in the shop, which it has plenty of.

I agree with bigbella in general, but there is one exception to the rule that has been observed. In Berkeley, CA (University Ave, can't remember the name of the shop), there is a hydroponics store, and they are growing the biggest cephalotus I've ever seen. It has never been transplanted, and has been there for a good 3-4 years, and has way overgrown it's 3" pot. All they do is water it with DI water! The plant has never seen daylight, and has always been growing on strong artificial lighting, 24/7! It has never been fertilized-only relies on bugs in the shop, which it has plenty of.

I think that I know the very shop! That is the first success that I have heard of keeping Cephalotus under constant lighting, as some have Sarracania; and I would be curious to see how long it could last in that state, since most have crapped out, in experiments, under twenty-four hour lighting . . .

How about a south-facing window sill, where the winter temps will drop into the 50's and 60's?

Back