Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus Leaf Pullings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I do not intend to start some significant disagreement but only state my own experience. I originally believed that one needed to do a leaf pulling directly from the rhizome as is regularly practiced w/ VFT pullings. One day, while pulling a leaf from a Cephalotus, I managed to pull the rhizome in two - from my largest plant. Since then, I place an exacto blade slightly above where the leaf joins the rhizome and cut it there. Since starting this approach several years ago, I have seen no decrease in the percentage of successful strikes when compared to legitimate 'leaf pullings'.
    I tend to agree, though in my experience if you get a bit of rhizome then that plant seems to establish a little quicker. I don't find having a piece of rhizome essential to success though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    I tend to agree, though in my experience if you get a bit of rhizome then that plant seems to establish a little quicker. I don't find having a piece of rhizome essential to success though.
    sort of like what I see making Drosera paradoxa leaf pullings. If I pull a clump of leaves I get a bigger plantlet, easier to work with. single leaf some times that don't sprout, but when they do I get a dinky plantlet that i need to use tweezers to work with......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe mass has had plenty experience with this as seen in such a pic....

Ceph Leaf Pullings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually find rooting in live Sphagnum moss to be reliable. But, occasionally I experiments and these rooted in perlite:

Hummer's Giant

Typical

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took this picture, the result of a leaf pulling from a few months ago:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice Pics Everyone!!! I can't believe it was rooted in perlite... what was it's conditions? Humidity, temperature, and light if available?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I can't believe it was rooted in perlite... what was it's conditions? Humidity, temperature, and light if available?
    It was in a small terrarium (18") with four 12" Gro-Lux fluorescents and a fan for circulation. Humidity, while not actually measured, would have been high due to the nature of the setup. The perlite had a thriving growth of Sphagnum moss on top, which I would clear away for Cephalotus pulling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast