Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus Leaf Pullings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus Leaf Pullings

Today I started some leaf pullings from one of my Cephalotus. I put all of the leaves on some milled sphagnum moss and put the water level up to the soil line. All of this is inside one of those Glad containers. Should I put the pot under my fluorescent shop lights or on top of the shop lights(in the shade)?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put the pot under the shoplite, covered, with minimal moisture.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "water level up to the soil line"?!?

Do you mean flooded with water?
    (If so, I think you may have issues with rotting soon!)
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just ensure that the compost is moist; saturated and with little ventilation is not the way to go . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok thank you... So im guessing putting the lid on top of the glad container would be bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    [B]Today I started some leaf pullings from one of my Cephalotus. I put all of the leaves on some milled sphagnum moss and put the water level up to the soil line.
    For a successful rooting oif Cephalotus leaf cuttings you need the entire leaf and leafstalk (petiole) down to the rhizome. New growth occurs only on the point, where the leaf was connected to the rhizome. If you did not get this point, your efforts for Cephalotus propagation will be totally pointless. Look at this picture I found on the Internet:
    http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/Res...ephrooting.jpg
    New roots and new leaves will only grow at this point where the leaf was connected to the rhizome.

If I take cuttings (leaf and complete petiole) I plant them a bit slanted in some living Sphagnum.

I keep the Sphagnum moist, not totally wet and humidity high.
    The cuttings need good light to take roots in some months, but not too much heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you... I think I will be successful, I will take some pics pretty soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    For a successful rooting oif Cephalotus leaf cuttings you need the entire leaf and leafstalk (petiole) down to the rhizome. New growth occurs only on the point, where the leaf was connected to the rhizome. If you did not get this point, your efforts for Cephalotus propagation will be totally pointless. Look at this picture I found on the Internet:
    http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/Res...ephrooting.jpg
    New roots and new leaves will only grow at this point where the leaf was connected to the rhizome.
    I have read this concept / principle many times concerning both VFTs & Cephalotus. My experience is that it is true with VFTs but not with Cephalotus.

I do not intend to start some significant disagreement but only state my own experience. I originally believed that one needed to do a leaf pulling directly from the rhizome as is regularly practiced w/ VFT pullings. One day, while pulling a leaf from a Cephalotus, I managed to pull the rhizome in two - from my largest plant. Since then, I place an exacto blade slightly above where the leaf joins the rhizome and cut it there. Since starting this approach several years ago, I have seen no decrease in the percentage of successful strikes when compared to legitimate 'leaf pullings'.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast