User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nectar production in S. purpurea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nectar does affect capture rate by quite a bit. There are some plants that won't produce much nectar and don't really catch anything. How wet is the soil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Purp barely produces any nectar; not enough to be seen at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The soil's pretty wet, the pot sits in a tray of water and soaks up as much as it can. My non-purpurea sarrs (S. minor, S. jonesii, S. flava) all produce tons of nectar under the same conditions.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you can't see the nectar doesn't mean it isn't present. A touch test reveals more than sight. The nectar trail on the ala seldom has visible nectar but is almost always sticky to the touch. Sometimes you can see beads of nectar on the trail.

From my own observations with seedling grown indoors under lights grown in constantly standing water nectar was almost always visible on all the species or subspecies being cultivated. Some species/subspecies produced copious amounts of nectar.

When grown outdoors the amount of visible nectar varies from observation to observation. Since this is not an attribute I take regular notice of little inference can be made of the factors behind the variation. It could be the amount and speed of wind, relative humidity, watering, time of the year, time of the day, the temperatures and dewpoints of the past few days - anything really.

The sense of smell in insects is several quantum levels above the senses of humans. What may be undetectable to feeble human senses may be irresistible to an insect. As I recall one paper mentioned the nectar has a different ultraviolet light absorption curve. Insects can see the UV spectra, humans cannot.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing my Purp catches is springtails ;/
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." --George Carlin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natalie, you have the same taste in plants as I do, jonesii has to be my absolute favorite.

My purp has been drowning yellow jackets, and it's not even that big. Try touching the lip, I'm willing to bet that it's sticky. You could always try licking it, but I really don't recommend it. Bugs have probably been all over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jonesii is definitely a cool one... I can't wait to see how mine matures. Here's a short video I made of a fly encountering mine:

I felt all around the lips of my purpurea pitchers, and I can't detect any stickiness, just waxiness. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I keep the water level low in the tray for the VFTs, combined with the low humidity. I'll move the purp into a separate tray with more water and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is your jonesii from? It looks slightly different from mine.

I keep my purp with my VFTs and it produces plenty of nectar. I don't even have my plants in a tray, they're in an 18" pot that I top water. Both plants are growing very well and secreting abundant amounts of nectar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast