What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii "Crestview, FL"

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
IMGP1184.jpg

Crestview, FL

Gorgeous.. love the dark veining inside the traps.

Very nice purp! Love!

That's a dense rosea! Do you have any pics of the veining on the inside of the hood? I'm working on a vein mapping project.

I can try to get some. I don't have a decent lens yet for my digital, but I can get as large of an image as possible and crop it.

BTW: it has been grown under lights most of the year. Some of the peristomes are dripping with nectar, others are dry and waxy looking.

Great specimen! I need a var. burkii in my collection...

Awesome! It almost looks like a piece of coral.

I can try to get some. I don't have a decent lens yet for my digital, but I can get as large of an image as possible and crop it.

BTW: it has been grown under lights most of the year. Some of the peristomes are dripping with nectar, others are dry and waxy looking.

Awesome! I've noticed that rosea turns fully red in full sun much faster than purpurea, making this project somewhat difficult. So far I'm finding that southern purps, exlcuding rosea so far, exhibit a fractal pattern in their veining that fans outwards to a slight degree, while northern purps don't follow the same fractal and the veins angle inwards. This might be enough to quantitatively separate ssp. purpurea from ssp. venosa. Well see, I might start a separate thread for this.

Wow! :hail:

Beautiful veining, ruffles & overall pitcher shape.

Pitcher "a"
IMGP1203.jpg

IMGP1204.jpg

IMGP1206.jpg

IMGP1214.jpg

IMGP1215.jpg

IMGP1216.jpg

IMGP1219.jpg

Pitcher "b"
IMGP1207.jpg

IMGP1208.jpg

IMGP1209.jpg

IMGP1210.jpg

IMGP1211.jpg

I can send you the full sized images or RAW files if you want. If I had two more hands I could hold open the hood.

The fractals are very different, much more elongated. Man, that's a good looking plant.

What's nice about this plant is that it has a very short scape. Perfect for growing under lights. You can see the top of the flower in the second picture. Petals are pale pink.

The location that the plant was from, the last time anybody checked, has been build over with a strip mall.

I don't usually like purps. But that one is beautiful! I would definitely sport that in my collection. Even though I did just buy a death cube purp just because. I would definitely seek that one out. Very very nice. I would love to trade for a division one day. Stunning.

How much do death cubes go for at lowes?

5 to 8 I think the small one I purchased was 5.

I love their flowers, so different from purpurea. That's typical of Sarracenia sites, completely destroyed without hesitation or second thought.

Back