Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is trichoderma
    sounds like an STD to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fungus that has been found to have positive benefits for plants. Basically it lives in and on the soil, colonizes the plants roots system, improves plant and root growth and improves the plants fungal disease resistance. I thought this was a good read: http://www.biocontrol.entomology.cor...ichoderma.html

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

Bonjour

for me it is rotten ,it certainly phytophtora or pythium.

the Trichoderma will not help.

it must be extracted as soon as possible of your cultivation ,to avoid contagion, and discard.

you can quarantine it to see the evolution also

what is your substrate ?

Now what is your substrate is contaminated? cast as a precaution.

your Heliamphora juvenile stage was in hydroponics (perlite / peat moss alive or dead)?

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 09-04-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have removed it from near any of my plants, it is now in my bathroom as that is the coolest place. I don't quite know my susbstrate but it hasn't been used for any of my other plants as it was recently repotted before buying. I think i'm going to buy some trichoderma anywa, can't hurt surely, plus after this event I think I'll be giving my Ceph a nice little trichobath every coupla months! I'm now keeping my terrarium open topped until I install a fan which should happen within the week to reduce the chance of it affecting any of my other plants, thanks for all the advice.

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CT: I wouldn't personally bother with a top on a terrarium in England, IMO- it's not like we have a low to moderate humidity environment. You have damp sphag in the bottom and a warm tank, the humidity is probably going to be high anyway- especially considering ambient humidity outside of the tank. Maybe it's more necessary with helis, but I would be concerned if you are already have problems like Sudden Heli Death. The only time your house might become dry is in Winter if you have the central heating on constantly. If I were you I would get a humidity reader and test your tank- if it's humid enough without a top, maybe consider foregoing it. You will probably get a better temp-drop without a top, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MH1 - I think you may be right. Over the last week it's been about 26C in the days so I've kept the lid open and although if I go out in the day humidity can drop to around 65%, temperatures only reach around 24C. I've always opened the lid at night to get the drop and I bought a fan today to run at night to further it. I think now the days are getting colder I will keep the lid closed in the day, simply because it allows me to keep humidity around 80% and get a decent temperature drop when the lights are turned off at night. But from now on I will definately keep the lid open in the summer months as I think the week or two of 28C days may have been what pushed my Heli over the edge. Thanks for the advice and concern!

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fine. Being helpful is what TF is for! Blistering heat of 17C for the past week over here- funny how different the weather is between North and South- even when there's a supposed 'warm spell'. Hope the heli recovers anyhoo! Also, from photos I've seen, Hampshire carnivorous potting soil always looks very peaty- If I were you I would be considering changing the media to a more heli-suited mix. But again, I say this only from photos, so I could be completely wrong. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom,
    Is the pitcher going brown at the base the newest? Is it going brown right into the base of the plant?
    To me it currently looks more like indigestion. I quite often get the same sort of browning where this has happened. The dreaded sudden death causes the whole plant to collaspe where the pitchers shrivel up very quickly.

If the plant is in a heavy peat mix I would unpot it and wash away the compost in a bucket of water. Once done you can inspect the plant and see what the growing point (s) look like.

Good luck

bill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast