User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora and Cephalotus in the same Terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I've never grown cephs (or helis), you have to remember what their native climate is like to give them the best chance of success... They're not tropical plants, they're from a pseudo-Mediterranean climate in southwest Australia. Even in the height of summer, their nighttime temperatures typically drop to around 15C (60F). Daytime temperatures in the summer are usually about 23C (73F), although they can get wicked heat waves too (so high day temps probably wouldn't harm the ceph as long as it cools off at night). The humidity is not high all the time either, except in the winter. During the summer, it's normal to have high humidity at night, but it often drops to less than 50% during the day.

I think optimizing the terrarium for one species would be a disaster for the other, and making a climatic "compromise" might just lead to two plants that survive but don't thrive. Although, it seems like other people on here are making it work, so who knows. If it was my terrarium though, I wouldn't risk it with such expensive species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twigs View Post
    What Heliamphora species are you growing Steve? I think the biggest problem you will have is too much humidity for the Cephs. I grow H. Minor and H. Puchella with my Cephalotus on a grow rack and don't do anything to increase humidity.
    It's a Heliamphora minor, and I hope to add a few more before Winter here.

Thank you for the advice.
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @NaN: Butch has some magic mojo that causes the vapor from his humidifier to evaporate quickly as it empties the tube. my setup does not do that, and consequently, the mist settles on to the crown of my ceph. apparently wet enough to cause the crown to rot...
    It's called airflow...I have it too.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive grown helis in 40-60% RH and they did very well.....

You can find a happy medium easily enough, I would be more worried with airflow and temps.
    Hot and stagnant equals death for both, especially the heli

lol@exo.... you nut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    It's called airflow...I have it too.
    Oh crap - that's something I do not have right now.

But I've been checking out small USB computer fans. Anyone using these instead
    of the small 12volt computer fans? Looks easy to sit up especially since I have a few
    USB outlet plugs.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, So I put the Heli in a terrarium. Humidity was 60-70% and temps where low 82'f in the day and 70'f at night. I have four T8 lights over it.

For air flow I just ordered this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mo...5356877&sr=8-1

What do you have on the base of your terrariums? Just water? Egg crate, long fiber sphagnum moss?? Something else?

Thank you,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @steve: egg crate works...especially when water is filled with it....raises the ambient humidity. as for 70F at night, i'd strongly advice you to push your temps down even further. 70F is too warm for these plants at night time. in the wild, the temps go as low as 45F.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how this is possible, but I have the following growing next to each other in the same terrarium successfully:

Sarracenia purpurea venosa
    Nepenthes ampullaria
    Heliamphora minor
    Cephalotus

All of them are producing healthy, colorful traps. They are also growing quite quickly too. Well, except for my Cephalotus. I repotted it in fresh soil about two weeks ago and it went into a bit of suspended animation. But now it's starting to grow again (I see the fuzzy grow center sending out new leaves)
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast