What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrs Crosses:What to expect from seed

dionae

sarracenia lover
I just won a couple of sarrs crosses, SXM16 S.x Moorei -- Green tube, red lid x SFA08 S. flava var. atropurpurea -- all red tube,Blackwater River State Forest, Florida and SFRB28 S. flava var. rubricorpora -- Apalachicola,W,(F56,JA)(F75,MK)x SFO24 S. flava var. ornata -- haevy veined Potterton and Martin J.Welham.

I was wondering if the seeds would produce offspring similar to the parents or could the hybrids look totally different from the parents?

it's a bell curve distribution....very few will resemble like one parent, but as you get to the middle, the majority will look like a mixture of both.

Thank you very much amphirion! Thats exactly what I was hoping to read:).

Things get more complicated with your moorei x flava var. atropurpurea.

You have 2 parents, but one of those parents has genes from two different species. So you'll probably end up with mostly reddish plants with a mixture of no white at all or some white patterns in there.

And then you'll probably have one or two plants that look very much like one of the individual parents ie. a plant that looks like leucophylla, or a plant that looks like flava var. flava (assuming the moorei parent was a typical flava).

Not to mention what the grandparents looked like!

Where did you go about winning that much stuff

Thanks Alexis!

cps-Ebay:)

Things get more complicated with your moorei x flava var. atropurpurea.

You have 2 parents, but one of those parents has genes from two different species. So you'll probably end up with mostly reddish plants with a mixture of no white at all or some white patterns in there.

And then you'll probably have one or two plants that look very much like one of the individual parents ie. a plant that looks like leucophylla, or a plant that looks like flava var. flava (assuming the moorei parent was a typical flava).

Not to mention what the grandparents looked like!

Agree. I've crossed two different x mooreii plants with controled measures and one or two offspring resemble S. leucophylla grandparent with no flava expression. It's not basic Mendelian genetics. The skies the limit with Sarracenia. Bell curve is what I've experienced. I've seen extremes too. Sometimes you will get the colors you like expressed from both plants. In my opinion, that selection process is fun and exciting. Another interesting thing to me is that the phenotypic expression also appears in shape and sometimes not as much in the different colors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input DB!

Back