Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! I didn't realize you were from LA! I was hoping there would be another person in LA who could give me advice... someone in the same micro-climate, as it were. Soooo... what soil mixture do you use? I know Cephs like light, so do you think I could grow it in a southwest window? It gets quite a few hours of good sun.

Edit: By the way, your Ceph looks great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wonder what the minimum winter temp for flower initiation is. Or is it chilling hours like stone fruits. If it is in the 40's I might have problems. We have not had too many nights in the 40s for the past few years now......

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, average lowest winter temperature around Albany is 8.1C (46.6F).
    http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...9500_All.shtml

There are dozens of microclimates around Los Angeles - just a zip code zone apart can make a difference. Refer to the Sunset climate zones for better detail:
    http://www.sunset.com/garden/climate...0418000067298/

Or this snazzy interactive version of the USDA plant hardiness zone map:
    http://www.plantmaps.com/usda_hardiness_zone_map.php

Being about a mile from the ocean puts me in hardiness zone 11a (or adjusted to 10b) and Sunset zone 24.

Cephalotus don't seem to require massive amounts of sunlight, unlike Sarracenia. It depends on how you want to grow them - more light more color (red) smaller pitchers. Less light less color bigger pitchers. The east facing windowsill gets 2-3 hours of direct sunlight daily but since the building next door is painted white fairly bright reflected light in the afternoons.

Mix is similar to the "Charles Brewer" recipe documented on some of the sites referred to above. Plant is still in the same pot as when I got it.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 09-17-2011 at 01:52 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    wonder what the minimum winter temp for flower initiation is. Or is it chilling hours like stone fruits. If it is in the 40's I might have problems. We have not had too many nights in the 40s for the past few years now......
    I was pretty surprised by NaN's lack of flowering since I figured it was more of a photoperiod thing. My 'outdoor' Cephs flower every year (summer outside w/ Sarrs & winter in basement under lights - low in 40's). This spring, my 1st indoor plant sent up two spikes and it never saw temps below the 50's (& possibly low 60's). In hindsight, I suspect the reason I'd not had flowers on inside plants was that I rarely allow any of them to get large enough before sending them to others. This plant was a little unique as I was conducting an experiment with it - so I kept it longer than usual.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I was pretty surprised by NaN's lack of flowering since I figured it was more of a photoperiod thing. My 'outdoor' Cephs flower every year (summer outside w/ Sarrs & winter in basement under lights - low in 40's). This spring, my 1st indoor plant sent up two spikes and it never saw temps below the 50's (& possibly low 60's). In hindsight, I suspect the reason I'd not had flowers on inside plants was that I rarely allow any of them to get large enough before sending them to others. This plant was a little unique as I was conducting an experiment with it - so I kept it longer than usual.
    i guess i might need to look into that also. Maybe it needs to hit critical mass/size before it will flower. My largest one should be about there. Have always wondered if our days do not get short enough or that it doesn't get cold enough. Over night in the 30-40 still get back to the 60s eventually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mekapellen View Post
    Give me any advice you can offer
    Alright, here is my advice for you: DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

I find Cephalotus easy to keep, and I mean Cephalotus plants.

But for me it's a thing of impossibility to grow them from seeds.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. hamiltonii, which grows near/around Cephalotus need a cold winter to flower. I haven't been about to get my outdoors D. hamiltonii to flower either.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Mine seems to flower after getting winter night temps of about 48f for a few months.

And as for soil mix, I use a mix of equal parts peat/sand/perlite/charcoal..I use the tray method and keep water about 1/3 the way up the pot.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast