User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intergeneric Sarraceniaceae Hybrids?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but names are just an artificial human definition, and nature doesn't pay attention to whether we classify something in the same genus as another thing. If someone wanted to, they could move horses to another genus since they split off early from ***** and zebras, and then it would be an intergeneric hybrid. When it comes to North American snakes for example (since that's what I know best), hybrids are not rare at all even between genera. Within the family Colubridae, many Lampropeltine genera can not only breed with each other, but produce fertile offspring that are capable of back-crossing with the parent species. For example, here in California, I know of at least a few Lampropeltis getula Pituophis catenifer individuals that have been found in the wild. In captivity, people have also crossed Lampropeltis triangulum with Elaphe guttata and gotten viable, fertile offspring, among many other crosses. I tried looking up the chromosome counts of these genera, but I can't find any papers on it that are visible for free. Also among the rattlesnakes, Crotalus Sistrurus has been found in the wild. So the fact that something is in a different genus is not always a barrier to reproduction.

Now of course, this doesn't mean that intergeneric CP hybrids are necessarily possible, but the fact that they are in different genera doesn't mean it's impossible. I guess it just depends on how early they split off from each other and how different their DNA has become over the eons. Are there any accounts of someone attempting Darlingtonia and Sarracenia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    .... a butterwort and VFT have been crossed...
    Lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants sort of straddle the lines in terms of the species and hybrid concept. Look at orchids for example. inter species as well as inter generic hybrids are commonly made and produce fertile offspring. But then again people have tried to make hybrids of the different CPs ........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12