User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia purpurea veining patterns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia purpurea veining patterns.

So, after working with CPs all summer I started to notice some things about them that hasn't been documented before. I'm an artist, so I cue in on visuals very quickly. After staring at an S. purpurea leaf for an hour or so I noticed that the veins in the hood had a noticeable pattern in their veins. This isn't any ordinary pattern, but a fractal pattern! The veins form a hexagonal shape that reduces in size, but increases in number as it approaches the edge of the hood.

After looking at some purps from New York for a while I noticed that this fractal changes. Instead of being hexagonal it's pentagonal. Since no one has been able to produce quantifiable differences between purps from up North and down South I thought this might be a break through.

Now I'm asking you guys for help. I need photos of S. purpurea hoods from as far south as Georgia all the way up to the northern most reaches of their distribution in Canada. All I need to know is their collection data (state and county). If you don't know which county it's from, that's fine, just the state will do. If you can get a photo with the hood flattened, that's even better. It'll make it easier for me to map the fractals.

Okay guys, let's see those photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a great page with pics of purps assembled by region
    http://www.johnjearrard.co.uk/plants.../purpurea.html
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few of those photos are usable, but not many. I need photos directly from the front of the pitcher and/or behind it with the hood pulled back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how close up do you need the pics and what specific locations. pics of them would help. then can photograph the exact. Have a few with location data..... Are we excluding S. rosea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something sort of like this, but with the focus point on the hood instead of the squirming stew of bugs.

Full Gut by Wire Man, on Flickr

I'd like to get a few representations from each state and Canadian provence. S. rosea would work too, since it exhibits some of the same fractals (there's a big difference with rosea fractals). What I'm going to do is draw up a mapping of the average pattern from each state.

Next up will be S. leucophylla, once I finish S. purpurea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can do when I have some time at home. The one in your pic is a venosa?

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get you some better shots from the place up here...I don't think any of mine are really usable but it is Keweenaw County, Michigan if any help.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting hypothesis! How about this pic? If you like I can email you the full resolution version (7 megapixels).

Not exactly a straight-on shot, but you can see the veining patterns quite clearly anyways.

EDIT - ah, forgot that you were looking for location data. This one is from a Lowes death cube - if the source of the material that Lowes vendors use for TC is known, then that would be your location data. Otherwise...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast