Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How to take care of a new heli division

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The king of Helis has spoken! This is an awesome thread!! I read it earlier and didn't have time to reply then. Butch you are the man! I so look forward to using this info when I start aquirering more of these beauties. I love the first successful heli you have sent me.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh....thank you mate, congrats on the heli success!!
    HTH's

Ellison, yw mate

Gill, the Pondcare product has a tiny amount of Zeolite in it, I see no difference in performance one way or another.

Jeff, Bonjour.... thanks for the kind words.

V, thank you old friend.... :-)

Butch
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 09-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch,

Do you wash APS prior to using? Sorry if it is a silly question as I havent dealt with APS myself.

Thank you

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah.... but it does make funny sounds and erupts with a little poof of dust/smoke/something when it gets wet for the first time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir Butch - God of all Heliamphora ...

Many thanks for the detailed 'How-to' for new Heli's (now in one place).

It works!
    Last edited by RL7836; 09-29-2011 at 06:59 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Av... very useful. The growing medium for Heliamphora is very interesting and I suspect dependant to a certain degree on the growing conditions. I personally use a 1:1 LFS/perlite mix and have no issues with it; however, I know some European growers use peat/perlite mixes with great success. Last I read, Andreas Wistuba was using Sphagnum moss, perlite, a little peatmoss and had started to add Aggrofoam. He stated that the peatmoss enhanced colouration under his growing conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    ...however, I know some European growers use peat/perlite mixes with great success. Last I read, Andreas Wistuba was using Sphagnum moss, perlite, a little peatmoss and had started to add Aggrofoam. He stated that the peatmoss enhanced colouration under his growing conditions.
    I used a peat-based media with my 1st Heli (H. minor) and it barely grew at all for over a year (1-2 pitchers max). Two other divisions (from same plant) in media without peat grew very well. Although obviously not a controlled experiment with any true validity, I see little reason to add any peat to my Heli media now...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron, thanks for the kind words my friend.... for you are the Kwisatz Haderach!

Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Thanks Av... very useful. The growing medium for Heliamphora is very interesting and I suspect dependant to a certain degree on the growing conditions. I personally use a 1:1 LFS/perlite mix and have no issues with it; however, I know some European growers use peat/perlite mixes with great success. Last I read, Andreas Wistuba was using Sphagnum moss, perlite, a little peatmoss and had started to add Aggrofoam. He stated that the peatmoss enhanced colouration under his growing conditions.
    Carl, thanks and I agree!!

I would go as far as saying it is highly dependent on growing conditions. Personally, my best growth performance was with Cypress bark based mixes. But those required multiple daily waterings. That got old, really quick too LOL

In my application, LFS and Perlite alone doesnt perform that well for me. This is especially true with my large helis..... but I know many who would use nothing else.

My intent was to give the newbie enough basic knowledge of my methods to be successful without information overload.

IMHO the 1:1:1 LFS/Perlite/APS is practically bullet proof. The APS maintains a nearly perfect moisture level that even someone with the most basic level of experience is assured success.

Most of us old timers know that what works best for any one person is highly dependent on many variables... Watering routines, humidity levels, ventilation, light, fertilizer routines etc.

But I thought that was better left to a more advanced "How To"

:-)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 09-30-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast