Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How to take care of a new heli division

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG Butch!!! That is my favorite book and movie! I have the new and old versions. DVD and VHS for the old. Old oen the best!! The rest of the books were awesome too! Fliping awesome!

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain

---------- Post added 09-30-2011 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-29-2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

Zeolite! Lets clean out the radioativity int he APS too! LMAO It worked in chirnoble!! And sold not to protect agaisnt the fallout from the melted down reactors in japan.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    The APS maintains a nearly perfect moisture level that even someone with the most basic level of experience is assured success.
    Sadly, I have never managed to find APS in Europe. I used to use Seramis, which had a similar effect, but that is increasingly difficult to obtain in the UK.

There is a laterite aquatic plant substrate available in the UK, which I supsect is similar to APS, but at ~11 ($17.50) per 20 oz I think I'll give it a miss
    Last edited by mobile; 09-29-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

I always use for my old plant a peat vermiculite mixture (mixture WISTUBA advocated in its beginning), actually quite close to the substrates 'in situ'.

Now to the plants rather latest purchased ,the moss and perlite mixture (more hydroponic) ensuring long roots, but quite brittle and in my personal try impossible to repot in the first mixture.

I use in place of cypress bark , pouzzolane

very very interessant this trichoderma utilisation .

for me the laterite is not present on the top of the tepui ( see here tepui vegetation and soil to "habitat" , in french excuse me)

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 09-30-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Sadly, I have never managed to find APS in Europe. I used to use Seramis, which had a similar effect, but that is increasingly difficult to obtain in the UK.

There is a laterite aquatic plant substrate available in the UK, which I supsect is similar to APS, but at ~11 ($17.50) per 20 oz I think I'll give it a miss

Carl,

As far as I know, Laterite's main use is to slowly leach iron and other trace nutrients into planted aquariums. It was first popularized by the Dupla company back in the day. In addition to that use, I have experimented a little with laterite in some Ozzie drosera applications. APS on the other hand is designed to not leach anything. It's main qualities are it's inertness, resistance to compaction and water absorption (30% LHC). It is a thermally enhanced (@1000-1500 degrees F) clay mineral product that is very porous (0.45 cc/g) and chemically stable.

A product very similar to APS is sometimes used in kitty litter and some oil dry products. (But I don't recommend those for our use due to regional differences in formulations, additives and base minerals... )

Butch
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 09-30-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    APS on the other hand is designed to not leech anything. It's main qualities are it's inertness, resistance to compaction and water absorption (30% LHC). It is a thermally enhanced (@1000-1500 degrees F) clay mineral product that is very porous (0.45 cc/g) and chemically stable.
    OK, this sounds like Seramis.

A product very similar to APS is sometimes used in kitty litter and some oil dry products. (But I don't recommend those for our use due to regional differences in formulations, additives and base minerals... )
    Much of this in the UK is Diatomaceous earth based, for which I have had negative results with as a planting material.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    I always use for my old plant a peat vermiculite mixture (mixture WISTUBA advocated in its beginning), actually quite close to the substrates 'in situ'.
    I'm wary of vermiculite as a CP growing medium component, with the exception of Mexican Pinguicula, as it can turn alkaline over time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post

Much of this in the UK is Diatomaceous earth based, for which I have had negative results with as a planting material.
    Ahhhh just the opposite on this side of the pond... mostly clay based here, comparatively very little use of DE in these apps

After reading up on Seramis a little, it does sound very close...
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 09-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

I use the vermiculite since several year in all the acid substrate plants , with no problem , it is a very good 'allegeant'

for me this one is more interessant than perlite with the blond peat.

inside le perlite: SiO2 ; AlO3 ; FeO3; MgO ;Na2O ; K2O ; CaO

vermiculite chimic formula : (H,Na,Ca1/2) (Mg Al2)Si4O10 (OH)2

have you try to heliamphora : granite or sandstone very presence up there on the tepui ?

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    have you try to heliamphora : granite or sandstone very presence up there on the tepui ?
    This is the reason for me being wary of vermiculite on acid loving plants: http://www.schundler.com/pH.htm, but maybe peat buffers it? I've never tried granite, but it would be easy for me to obtain as I live near Aberdeen, Scotland - which is known as the granite city. In fact, there is an abandoned granite quarry within a couple of miles from where I live.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast