Thread: How to take care of a new heli division

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

a heliamphora island on the tepui

very interessant like substrat , no?

have you use 'akadama' (bonzaï clay) in replacement to 'seramis' ?

on the tepui no problem with the sandstone ,the granit in mix to carex peat , no problem with iron also very present up there.

but attention with the copper very harmful , in the substrat or in the aerosol bomb or fertilizer.

have you with the perlite some dissolution problem with the water ?

jeff

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suite

have you try 2 bonzaï substrate in mix named ' kanuma ' and ' fuyoo do ' ?

jeff

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av,
    Do you think soaking the division in a solution of SuperThrive would be similarly beneficial instead of using the trichoderma atroviride?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mato: SuperThrive consists of vitamins and hormones that are said to benefit growth. trich does not offer vitamins and hormones, but instead gives the plant an immune system. it is an endosymbiotic fungus that keeps other harmful fungus at bay so it is impossible to compare the two together in terms of benefits.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on what amp said, two totally different products....

no comparision

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured I may have gotten that sort of response with the use of "similar." What I should have asked was: Will soaking the plants in a SuperThrive solution upon arrival soften the roots and prevent any shock that may otherwise happen without it? That is, is it better than nothing? Regardless, I believe I will look into the trichoderma atroviride.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course its better then nothing, Peter D'Amato seems to be a big fan of it. He and Barry went around and around on listserv about it's use after an article in CPN a year or two or three ago IIRC.

Heliamphora roots are not that delicate.

I really don't understand how the tribal knowledge of them being so fragile got so widespread. Personally, I find them to be rather tough... tougher then most plants. When Im repotting I hold the root ball underwater and tease it apart, sometimes getting rather aggressive.

Jeff, made reference to them being more fragile when grown in different substrates. I can't really comment on this, maybe so.... I can see the logic behind it.

To answer your question, while it can't provide the benefits the trich bath can...it sure cant hurt

Main thing, don't ever start with a plant where the roots have been desiccated and now brittle. Soak them in somthing to reduce the structural stresses of repotting, even if it's just water.

Likewise, IMHO always make sure the plant has been well watered several hours prior to unpotting.

HTH's
    Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 10-14-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that this is as close as I'm going to get in the UK to the mix described. I have substituted APS, as it is not readily available and costs £35/4.5kg ($55/10lbs), with a cat litter product that bonsai growers here use.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast