What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's See those Helis!

Finally one of my helis is getting some color now that it's maturing a bit. Prior pitchers were mostly green, but at least some red is showing up.

heterodoxa Ptari tepui
6484431435_ddb6b2c021_z.jpg

Beautiful pitcher, Nightsky!

sweet.... love the coloration

Jb,
The humble collection is getting not so humble anymore ;)

sweet.... love the coloration

Jb,
The humble collection is getting not so humble anymore ;)

Thanks, Butch. I'm definitely putting a lot of work into them. They're pretty hard to come by.

Agree!
looks like you got it before the name change ... now: Heliamphora purpurascens

Interesting. Wasn't aware of this at all. And butch seeing how red you get yours..one day I'll spring for some t5's. It's the vibrant reds that makes helis so attractive imo.

I've been watching & enjoying two Heli's this week - so I thought I'd share. The 1st is a H. folliculata from Murosipan Tepui.

The plant itself is a beast and is growing like a weed in the cooler temps --- but has been growing asymmetrically so it isn't too photogenic (& add in remnant tricho stains from the Heli-master himself). However, I really like how different the pitchers are from other species.
HfolliculataMurosipanplant121711RS.jpg

The closeup of one of the newer pitchers really shows how different this species is (imho).
HfolliculataMurosipanpitcher121711RS.jpg

... and when you look closely at the nectar spoon, you can see the back-bulge, alien-head-thing going on ...
HfolliculataMurosipannectarspoon121711RS.jpg

I'm including the next plant, H. sarracenioides, because it just put up it's 1st non-juvie pitcher. I am pretty surprised at how it changed completely from horizontal pitchers to upright with no real transition. Also, the difference in size is pretty impressive. It also seems to have more of a nectar spoon than I've seen in pics of this species - although I suspect that will fade as it transitions to fully adult form...
Hsarracenioidesplant121711RS.jpg

Pitcher close-ups...
Hsarracenioidespitcherfront121711RS.jpg
Hsarracenioidespitcherside121711RS.jpg

Most beautiful! Got to love that little nectar spoon! I find myself in awe of how fast H. folliculata grows now that my room temps are also dipping.

Awesome pics as usual!:hail:

Great pics as always, Ron! Very impressive.

Interesting sarracenioides..... please keep us posted as they progress.

IMHO these two species rank among the top in performance. They grow fast, they grow colorful and they are some of the most forgiving.

Having said all that, Ron's results are what one strives for with these species.

Ho Ho Ho.... :D

Last edited:
The hat looks good on ya Av8tor! :lol:

rl7836: :hail: & :drool:

av8tor1: nice hat :p

Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated.
Interesting sarracenioides..... please keep us posted as they progress.
I will. I'm hoping that Herr Wistuba doesn't have a hybrid mixed into his t/c babies ..... :0o:

Nice hat btw. :-O

After chopping off 8-10 stalks from various Heli's, I'm allowing one to flower ('Tequila') - so I can play with some pollination attempts. I'm curious if my lack of patience will once again triumph ... :scratch:

years ago he had two clone line offerings..... but as far as I know, its only the one now....

but I cant say that Ive ever seen such a pattern to mine, so me dunno.... time will tell

Don't think your sarr clone is a possible hybrid just yet... Pitchers seem to be variable as each leaf develops.

Don't think your sarr clone is a possible hybrid just yet... Pitchers seem to be variable as each leaf develops.
Definitely not time for conclusions (1st few mature pitchers tend to be funky anyway) - just suspicions ... :nono:

A few more Heli's as I try to get pics of all of them into my growlist.

First up is one of my recent favorites - H. nutans from Kukenam Tepui. Super prominent nectar spoons (with a few bristly hairs) & the pitchers have a dense mat of tiny hairs that make a unique sheen (which naturally I'm unable to really capture with my camera - grrr - although you can kinda see it in the one pic). For some reason, one of the pitchers is more red & the other two are more golden. Also, the fluid dots on the left pitcher aren't from water...
HnutansKukenamplant122111RS.jpg

HnutansKukenampitchergoldbig122111RS.jpg
HnutansKukenampitchergold122111RS.jpg
HnutansKukenampitcherred102211RS.jpg

Next up is probably my largest disappointment - H. huberi. So far, the plant grows well but just has not been special in any way (pic from Aug).
Hhuberi082811RS.jpg

Next is H. pulchella - Akopan Tepui from Herr Wistuba. While I haven't yet placed it really close to the lights to let it color up, it is an interesting plant.
HpulchellaAkopanAW122111RS.jpg

Last up is H. pulchella from Amuri Tepui (pics from Oct). This plant was quite close to the lights and colored up nicely. The pitchers are a distinctly different form than the other pulchella locations (so far anyway). The plant has sometimes grown very well and other times has pouted. It's mostly been in a bad mood since I cut it's flower stalk - kinda concerned ...
HpulchellaAmuriplant102011RS.jpg

HpulchellaAmuripitcher102011RS.jpg
HpulchellaAmuripitcher1102011RS.jpg

Btw - whatever happened to the threadstarter - HeliGoddess?? :scratch:

H.nutans from kukenam tepui
Hnutans_12-20-11.jpg

H.heterodoxa x minor flower
heliflower02_12-20-11.jpg

heliflower01_12-20-11.jpg

Definitely not time for conclusions (1st few mature pitchers tend to be funky anyway) - just suspicions ... :nono:

Btw - whatever happened to the threadstarter - HeliGoddess?? :scratch:

HeliGoddess redesignated to Ann_A. (just kidding....otherway around. :oops:)

and that pulchella....holy crap very nice! almost resembles those red "plastic" eggshell ones found in-situ!

Last edited:
Last up is H. pulchella from Amuri Tepui (pics from Oct). This plant was quite close to the lights and colored up nicely. The pitchers are a distinctly different form than the other pulchella locations (so far anyway). The plant has sometimes grown very well and other times has pouted. It's mostly been in a bad mood since I cut it's flower stalk - kinda concerned ...
HpulchellaAmuriplant102011RS.jpg

HpulchellaAmuripitcher102011RS.jpg
HpulchellaAmuripitcher1102011RS.jpg

I have had trouble with that form of pulchella as well. My other forms grow fine with different levels of speed. But that form only produced one new adult pitcher in 2010. Them after several months and them winter it produced three more pitchers this year and them died!! :(
Yours looks good and strong so hopefully it will be fine.

cheers

bill

beautiful helis everyone, well grown....

My amuri looks a little different, not so sure about mine... but meh, I dunno...
(Im anxious to see if the flower stalk is pubescent as I would expect a pulchella to be)
But.... that being said, its in flower... as are many of my helis

DPP_0142_hf.jpg

DPP_0143_hf.jpg

DPP_0144_hf.jpg

DPP_0145_hf.jpg

DPP_0146_hf.jpg

DPP_0147_hf.jpg

DPP_0148_hf.jpg

DPP_0149_hf.jpg

DPP_0150_hf.jpg

DPP_0151_hf.jpg

DPP_0152_hf.jpg