What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia leucophylla in the wild, Sept. 2011

S. leucophylla comes in many different shapes, forms, and sizes. They're also accompanied by many different insects, some beautiful, and others that eat you alive!

I've organized some photos to display the various forms of S. leucophylla observed in the wild, and near the end of the photo set are a few habitat shots and the accompanying dangers of visiting Sarracenia bogs. Be sure to click on each photo for a detailed description:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62998672@N07/sets/72157627742858673/

-Mike

That my friend is absolutely beautiful. :clap:

AWESOME post Mike.. Always love your photos.

thank you both-It's a pleasure to share them!

This photo album only shows a fraction of what's out there in terms of diversity-I just hope they'll still be there 20 years from now.

Great shots! I'm always blown away by how variable this species is. Quick note: the snake you have listed as a cottonmouth is actually a copperhead.

Always look forward to your posts...brilliant images.

Last edited:
Amazing!!!

Eeeeeeeeeeekk (squeals like a school girl) I love seeing these guys in the wild!!!! I would live to go to a stand one day. Thanks for sharing.

Physalaemus-thanks for the correction!

Thanks all for the compliments!

JB-believe me-most of us have that same reaction when we see these things in the wild-once you come to your senses, it's a very peaceful and aesthetically beautiful place...essentially, a plant-geeks version of heaven!

Incredible! :-O

Wow amazing!

Incredible plants! I need to get down to these sites soon. Hopefully the roadside populations don't follow the paths of other roadside seeps.

Oh, and those nasty vines are called Smilax laurifolia. I know just how much they hurt. I was very good at finding it with my face, hands, and torso over the summer.

Last edited:
meizwang,

amazing pictures! My hometown is Bainbridge, Ga southwest corner. Decatur county. My house is a short hour and 45 minute drive to Panama City Beach, Fl. We take hwy 231 and just outside of Youngstown, Fl there is a beautiful patch of S. Leucos and the scarce random S. Flava along that hwy. Check it out if you are ever that way. This is the sad part though. The plants grow in the ditches that are mowed with bush hogs every year by the highway maint. crew. When I was younger the road was lined with Sarrs. but now there is an area only about a mile long that the odd patch will pop up on.

Cody

Thanks so much for sharing! Amazing pics!

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures!!!

awesome to see so many people appreciate these plants-you're very welcome!

Back