What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr of fort jackson sc

i got permission from ft jackson people to take photos and count the plants around one pond that they knew sarr grew..it was so over grown i had a very hard time finding what few plants i did..if the wheather is good in the next few weeks here i'm going to wade the pond..or wait till spring..the first 9 pics are of plants only a foot tall and not too clumped...the rest of the photos are of plants just a little over 2ft..i hope i can find more..so far i have counted only 12 plants..very sad...the brush and weeds seem to be choking the plants out...

PA070001.jpg

PA070002.jpg

PA070003.jpg

PA070004.jpg

PA070005.jpg

PA070006.jpg

PA070007.jpg

PA070008.jpg

PA070011.jpg

this clump was growing up the side of the tree..it was rooted to its own dead roots..
PA070016.jpg

PA070017.jpg

PA070020.jpg

Awesome!!! I love seeing sarrs insitu!

Wow, some very nice photos there! Check out my pic thread, I have some pictures of sarrs in the wild as well.

Wow
It's too bad they're being choked out the ones left are pretty

That place needs to be burned ASAP! S. flava should not look that spindly.

Awesome stuff! You're lucky to live within driving distance of this population... I still haven't seen any CPs in the wild. :(

great to see seedlings there-I bet a good fire could clear the whole thing out and that site will look great in a year or two. There's probably a bunch of rhizomes hiding under the grasses.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing your pictures; it is great to see them out in nature.

I attended basic training at Ft Jackson in the mid-80s, boy do I feel old now.....

went back to fort jackson sc monday to wade the pond in search of more sarr's..found a total of 50 plants..just a 1/4 of the way around the pond..3 big clumps measuring abt 3ft in dia..the rest were sm single plants..from seedlings to only abt a 1ft tall..every plant was located right on the ponds edge..the mud was so deep i couldn't getout far enough to take a pic of the banks..hope to go back soon with a sm boat....all the plants were also abt 20-50ft away from one another

Cool pics!

went back to fort jackson sc monday to wade the pond in search of more sarr's..found a total of 50 plants..just a 1/4 of the way around the pond..3 big clumps measuring abt 3ft in dia..the rest were sm single plants..from seedlings to only abt a 1ft tall..every plant was located right on the ponds edge..the mud was so deep i couldn't getout far enough to take a pic of the banks..hope to go back soon with a sm boat....all the plants were also abt 20-50ft away from one another

Next time you go back ask if they plan on a controlled burn. Those plants could look so much better. Good to know there are more.

Back