User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New heli... sad looking. Any tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really think it can be the trichoderma. I've been using the same stuff on the rest of the helis, my cephs and neps for over a year without any sign of negative consequences.

Like I said, the only thing that sets this situation apart is the brand of peat I used and the overall condition of the plant to begin with.
    Indeed. Most indeededly. Phillip J. Frye

My growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the first little minor didn't make it... obviously. I just got the replacement from the vendor, and I have to say that it looks really good. I'll try to get pics up when I get home from work.

My growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you, I would seriously review the medium before potting up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already done. I've gotten rid of the new brand of peat moss I used on the last one. Gonna stick with LFS and APS for this one and see how it goes.

My growlist.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok not sure why peroxide will harm plants. I know folk who use it on orchids straight from the bottle. As soon as the bottle is opened it starts breaking down to water and oxygen. I have used it straight on orchid seeds before flasking. Never used on anything but orchids though.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on the strength of the hydrogen peroxide. I'm sure that my plants would not appreciate being 'treated' with neat 35% hydrogen peroxide that I have

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used 1% peroxide solution to sterilize the soil ingredients as one of the washing steps (it is safer than Bleach solution and will not mess up pH), made sure to wash the soil very thoroughly after because peroxide speeds up decomposition resulting in bunch of soluble organics in solution. It has not worked for me 100% (even though I kept soil in H2O2 solution up to a week) and it is quite expensive (1L of 3% solution is more expensive than a 1Gal of RO water).

Be careful in using diluted solution on the plants. When I was starting this hobby I used diluted H2O2 on the soil which went bad with plants in it already. Burned the roots, plant went into some weird hibernation and never recovered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    and ron dampens his substrates and nukes it in microwave for his drosera seedlings
    Which can make it a lovely sterile medium for later fungal and bacterial colonization... might be a good start for Trichoderma though
    I have struggled over the years to give seed a chance to germinate & grow before the semi-inevitable onslaught of moss (& other inhabitants). The quasi-sterilization of the media followed by a quick inoculation of Trichoderma seemed to make sense when I thought about it. The results in practice confirmed my theory (mostly**).

** I have a protocol I follow to try & keep other 'stuff' from infecting the media before the Tricho gets a good head start. Sometimes I'm in a rush or get lazy and then all sorts of stuff colonize it. If the Tricho gets a good head start, treated moist media can go for some time without growth from other invaders...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast