Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.Purpurea Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S.Purpurea Questions

First, if I was given a division, does the growth restart small or continue from where it leftoff? Second, what am I doing wrong if the plant is slowly killing off pitchers every 3 weeks or so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might just be goin dormant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but the temps have been in the 90's for almost a month, now its in the 80's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormancy is also based on photoperiod

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal dont worry, purpurea is so easy you have to try to kill it for it to decline in health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of off-topic, but does dormancy depend on where the plant was originally from? My S. purpurea doesn't go dormant, and has some still living pitchers on it that will be three years old next year. Could this be because this particular strain was collected from an area that doesn't have harsh winters and it didn't need to go dormant? Or perhaps the opposite - maybe it was from an area up north that had very harsh winters with short days, so it doesn't recognize California weather as being winter? About half of old pitchers died off during the last wet season, but it was primarily during the spring following the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's my understanding that a division of a mature plant will begin producing mature pitchers once it gets established; it won't revert back to a juvenile state. There may be an adjustment period where the growth appears stunted... or at least that's my experience with propagating Drosera, Pinguicula, and Nepenthes from cuttings or divisions.

As far as dormancy - I thought all Sarrs had dormancy requirements of varying degrees and would go dormant given the proper cues. Whether it's necessary to observe that dormancy is probably up for debate: I've had my S. purp for over a year now and am about to force it to skip its second dormancy since I got it. No obvious signs of decline; on the contrary, this plant is absolutely bomb-proof and continues to grow vigorously despite my many blunders.

If the plant is slowly losing pitchers... that might just be natural turnover. My S. purp pitchers started going brown from the tip down a few weeks ago, but those pitchers have been replaced with new growth. It could also be the start of dormancy. My temperatures don't change drastically month-to-month (highs of mid-upper 90s during the summer and around 80 in the winter). But in my experience my own plants follow the cues of photoperiod more closely than temperature; gemmae production and slowdowns in growth only seem to come about after i've reduced my photoperiod for the season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast