What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Cephalotus pitcher

cephalotus-dark.jpg

This is my first Cephalotus ("vigorous" clone), purchased from D. Hastings in early June. At that time it was a small clump of juvenile pitchers, but as you can see, it has gone on to making adult pitchers. (It has made five now) These are coloring up nicely, wouldn't you say?

I hope this species continues to be as easy to cultivate in the long run as it has been for me so far. The trick (if you can call it that) is to understand its requirements and learn about its natural habitat, then reconstruct it as closely as you can. It appears that the significant drop in night temps is very important. Strong lighting helps as well. Otherwise I have found this an easy plant.

Thats a beautiful pitcher Whimgrinder. I find cephalotus' to be easy to grow too. I just had a nice red pitcher open today. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice! We also have another Portland grower!

Looks great! I love the shape of the pitcher too. It looks like it's more pointed toward the bottom, while the pitchers on my typical seem a bit more rounded. Thanks for posting the pic!

Great looking pitcher. Do you see much variation within each pitcher? it would be interesting to the deep red pitchers with white strations from the lip to the base of the lids.

Wow that's a really pretty pitcher, can you take a pic of the whole plant when it's convenient for you? I'd love to see the whole plant

Beautiful plant! Great pic quality too. I need to give my Ceph a bit more light and see if I can get color like that. You can see mine aren't quite there:http://www.flickr.com/photos/68248217@N04/6257311999/

As far as ease of cultivation, I agree with you. So far my Ceph has done really well with minimal effort. Like most plants, pretty easy if you follow some basic rules.
Good growing!

Nice colouration. I too find Cephalotus an easy plant. I've been growing them for a few years and so far I have failed to kill one :D

Very nice! I do not find cephs to be easy... starting from one leaf that is.:p

Very, very nice pitchers!

Thanks for the kind words, folks. :)

@James: This plant is quite young still, and has produced only five adult pitchers so far. (The one in the forefront of the photo is likely no more than 2/3" tall) So, I am not seeing any noticeable variation in the pitcher markings, no. I have other clones from a variety of sources, and these are remarkably different from one another, in terms of markings and overall coloring. I have one clone from Charles Brewer that is mostly green, with raspberry pink inner lid markings!

Any chance of you posting pics of the Charles Brewer clone?

Beautiful! Makes me wish mine would colour up in my tropical environments...it always stays green *wistful*

@mobile: I will make an effort to get pics of the Brewer clones sometime today.

I like how the pitchers are hanging off the side almost like Nepenthes pitchers.

I have killed every Cephalotus that I owned:

One of them.

Very nice! I do not find cephs to be easy... starting from one leaf that is.:p

I'm actually going the opposite way with this. I find leaf cuttings to be quite easy.. given the proper conditions. Which in my experience can be anything from HL to LL and everything in between.

I'm actually going the opposite way with this. I find leaf cuttings to be quite easy.. given the proper conditions. Which in my experience can be anything from HL to LL and everything in between.
Personally, I find live Sphagnum moss and increased humidity helps with leaf cuttings. I get a high strike rate that way.

Back