User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia minor in the wild, 2011 (pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Natalie,

thanks for asking the most important question! I wish there was a simple answer, and below is my opinion. There are certainly other solutions out there:

We up against an entire culture of Southerners who believe what they are doing is okay, so to change a culture is a rather uphill battle. Going to the US forestry department and protesting is a game of politics-there's too much money involved to win this battle.

The first thing we can do is educate people-I'm starting by posting this story everywhere. Second thing we can do is contact Ron Determann from Atlanta Botanical Gardens and get him to start collecting seeds from all the remaining populations. It isn't enough to have them in cold storage-they have to be grown out and maintained to ensure viability. He's already doing this for S. montana and S. jonesii, but so many of the historically "common" species are being wiped out.

Third thing we can do is pool funds together via the ICPS/nature conservancy and organize some land purchases. I can tell you this much-almost ALL the sites I saw on the side of the road were for sale. The sad truth is that ultimately, MONEY can stop the destruction on private land. If our plant organizations don't have funds, these plants will go. It's a game of real estate acquisition and land management.

Any other suggestions/comments?
    Last edited by meizwang; 10-19-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the one pic you posted of the Sarracenia Minor OKie Giants did you notice the plants in the background. It looked liked Kudzu. If it is, and it's that close to that population, you won't have to worry about Forestry. The Kudzu will overwhelm those plants in one or two seasons and that will be that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread, and great pics. Thank you so much for sharing. It's nice to get a taste of carnivorous plant habitat elsewhere in the country.

S. minor is probably one of my favorite Sarracenia.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpman View Post
    In the one pic you posted of the Sarracenia Minor OKie Giants did you notice the plants in the background. It looked liked Kudzu. If it is, and it's that close to that population, you won't have to worry about Forestry. The Kudzu will overwhelm those plants in one or two seasons and that will be that.

Hi CP man,

To clarify things, This photo is actually from plants in my front yard-they no longer exist in the wild! If you look carefully in the upper right hand corner of the photo, you can see the blue kiddy pools:

Had my hopes up for a second...the invasive plant in the background of the photo is english ivy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to go on a trip with you....

It's tragic about the destruction, but not that surprising. It's happening everywhere. The Charlton okees look very different from any other I have seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    I need to go on a trip with you....

It's tragic about the destruction, but not that surprising. It's happening everywhere. The Charlton okees look very different from any other I have seen.
    In your experience, how do they differ? I only saw a few of them in Charlton Co, so it's hard to draw any conclusions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meizwang View Post
    In your experience, how do they differ? I only saw a few of them in Charlton Co, so it's hard to draw any conclusions.
    They usually don't had a pointed hood like that, and less defined veins. That population looks like a bloody spear tip! I love it! The back of the hood and neck are also very broad, making them look much more menacing than the typical okee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing photos.. But that is just so ****** sad that the damn state destroyed a native population of Sarr... How would they think its ok to do such a thing?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast