Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your replies. Let me try to respond to them all here.

Mass: The plant is growing in the same pot and same mix it contained since I purchased it. It looks like regular sphagnum peat, not LFS. There is a layer of moss, not sphagnum growing on the surface.

amphirion: Howdy to you too!!! I wanted to use Jerrytheplater for my screename, but it had too many characters. This is my only leucophylla. It did make much nicer pitchers this fall. Still no frost yet here. Plants are all outdoors March to first or second frost. Full sun for at least 6 hours. Water trays about 1" deep. Winter quarters are in a commercial greenhouse under glass, not plastic. No heat except to keep the pipes from freezing. Can see 28F for short periods at night. My friend is the manager.

Whimgrinder: My water comes from the Wanaque Reservoir/Monksville Reservoir in Passaic County which does get some pumped water from the Passaic River at Lincoln Park-Two Bridges area. The local rocks are Gneiss and Granite. Iron is plentiful. I have a meter at work which I need to bring home to tell you the Total Dissolved Solids of my home water. I will be going tomorrow and I'll try to bring it home to check. I'll post tomorrow.

We never get any scale on our tea kettle and my tankless water heater I had for almost 20 years was virtually scale free in the copper heat exchanger tubes. This unit had a 125,000 BTU input flame right under the copper tubes. All of my plants are watered with the tap water in the summer supplemented with rain water I collect. In the winter, all of my plants are watered with DI water with a TDS of less than 5 ppm and usually around 1 ppm. This water is the water produced by the waste treatment/water recycling system at work. I also use it for my African Cichlid Aquariums at work after adding the appropriate water hardness salts and bicarbonate buffer.

I have other CP: VFT, Sarracenia hybrids, sundews which are all thriving in the same conditions. I even have live sphagnum moss growing on the surface of a few of my pots. I have to doubt the water could be causing a problem unless the leucophylla really is that sensitive. I saw them growing at the NY Botanical Garden two summers ago. Really great huge plants. Double flowers. Looked wonderful.

cpman/DJ57: What do you think of repotting it now? I have LFS waiting in the garage and it is easy to get more.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible the water could have something else in it that's harming the plant? Perhaps chloramine or some other disinfectant?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Jerry from DJ57:

Since it has not been growing well and everyone else is doing ok, I would repot it now and that way you could look at the roots to see if there is anything going on there. I had some trouble with crane fly larva last year eating at my sarr roots. It may not be a water problem if your other CPs are doing ok, especially the VFT, which I call the canary of my bog since they are the first to show something going wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find all my plant do not do well in the tray method. They love the circ bog I have setup for them. They like oxygenated water to the roots and they don't like stagnation. Also fresh mix is called for. Old peat compacts down leafing to less O2 at the roots too. Put that bad boy in a larger pot with fresh peat top dressed with lfs and watch it take off next season. And remember to repot every other year. Don't be like me and leave them potted in the same mix for 5 years and the plants self divide due to rot from old peat.

Also I use tap on everything here to no detriment. I use it on orchids CPs everything.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a good idea to repot all sarrs (except seedlings, I guess) every other year? Or just S. leucophylla? I actually have a few plants that look like they should be repotted, is winter the best time to do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a photo?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are in tissue culture by AgriStarts 3. Maybe the wholesaler did a crappy job packaging the plants or it was fertilized or watered with hard water somewhere along the line.

The divisions I have grow the same as my generic S. leucophyla and are indistinguishable in growth and appearance except for the flowers. Due to mealybugs and the mild summers the past couple years spring growth hasn't been good but this years fall growth is close to what they usually look like.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    Whimgrinder: My water comes from the Wanaque Reservoir/Monksville Reservoir in Passaic County which does get some pumped water from the Passaic River at Lincoln Park-Two Bridges area. All of my plants are watered with the tap water in the summer supplemented with rain water I collect. In the winter, all of my plants are watered with DI water with a TDS of less than 5 ppm and usually around 1 ppm.
    Hi Jerry,
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your original message: when people say things like "my water is very soft" I assume they mean it is processed through a water softener, which would, of course, be very toxic to Sarracenia.

My next suggestion would be to replace the growing medium. I have bought plants in the past that have been growing in the same stale Peat for years and they desperately needed fresh soil. When repotted (I have done this in the middle of the growing season if I decide it is needed, with no ill effects) they explode with new growth. Sarracenia, I find, are forgiving of root disturbance as long as you are gentle, and give them at least two weeks in a shady spot to recover.

Good luck!
    Paul

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast