Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me throw my two cents in.

Here in Ohio I find S. leucophylla to be an easy grower, especially the "tarnok" cultivar. In my experience, if a plant has been divided one year, or hasn't had an outstanding growing year, you need to wait for next year to see anything outstanding. I've received plants that were divided in spring, and they never look that great until the next year. Also, if you just picked it up now (October) and especially in NJ, I wouldn't be expect it to look too great. A lot of my stuff here in Northeast Ohio has been preparing/is dormant already. The colder weather really gets them. Mid-late September sees my best growth for N. leucophylla. Now stuff is dieing back. Id say clip off any dead material, and leave anything green until next spring. Give it a good dormancy and you should be rewarded next year. I find these plants very hardy.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. It looks like it is repotting time.

I did check the TDS of tap water and got 125 ppm, but the meter would not calibrate on pH and so now I suspect it may be broken. I need to check that Monday and replace it if needed. Essential for work.

No Chloramine in our water.

Got to run to a Scout meeting.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A photo would help. I didn't read everything fully, but the thing that popped out was 6 hours of sun. This is kind of on the low end for what sarracenia need to be healthy and vigorous. That doesn't mean they won't survive in less, but 8-10 hours of direct full sun is really what you want to strive for in regards to sarracenia and other temperate species.
    Last edited by dashman; 10-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    A photo would help. I didn't read everything fully, but the thing that popped out was 6 hours of sun. This is kind of on the low end for what sarracenia need to be healthy and vigorous. That doesn't mean they won't survive in less, but 8-10 hours of direct full sun is really what you want to strive for in sarracenia and other temperate species.
    I know about the photo's. The digital camera I was using is broken. I need to borrow my sons and figure out how to download the photo's. I'll try. I have old photo's of my collection on Photobucket.

April 1, 2010 just after bringing my Sarracenia and VFT home from winter greenhouse stay

S. Scarlett Belle
    S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture-sarracenia-scarlet-belle-4-1-10-jpg

S. Dana's Delight
    S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture-sarracenia-danas-delight-4-1-10-jpg

S. purpurea
    S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture-sarracenia-purpurea-4-1-10-jpg

S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture-sarracenia-purpurea-4-1-10-jpg

April 20, 2010 after cutting out the dead growth. All of the above plants.
    S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture-april-20-2010-cleaning-2-jpg

The 6 hours of sun may be a low estimate. They are in an area that is shaded by the neighbors tall trees which cuts off morning sun until 8 AM. It is full sun till the afternoon sun is shaded by the house, maybe around 4 PM. This is the area I grow my vegetables: tomatoes, peppers, garlic.....They all do fine.

I have only re-potted a Sarracenia once. I did make two videos of it. It is here if you want to look at it. Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivVz45YtMyk Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY_-QJTduaQ

My question now is: When repotting, should I wash off all of the old peat moss potting mixture, or just move the plant into a larger pot? I am thinking I should wash it off, if I am supposing the old stuff is somehow harming the plant.

Not a Number mentioned mealy bugs. I have not noticed any on my plants. I grow cactus also and with them we can get Root Mealy Bugs right in the potting mix. Nasty critters. I suppose that would be impossible to get in wet boggy plants. Yes? No?

Thanks all for your help.
    Last edited by jerrysmith; 12-02-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Fixing Photobucket rule change.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can go ahead and rinse them all the way off. I always do, just to freshen everything up a bit.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry,

I quickly read this thread and wanted to give my two cents. I would repot in the dead of winter or if needed early spring before much growth starts for best results. As long as the media is not completely frozen solid to the roots of the plant when removed from the pot just rinse somewhat softly with water (or you can let the soil attached to the roots remain and repot all of it into the new media. I've always used 1:1 or better in my opinion 2:1 Canadian Sphangnum peat moss : pool sand (found at a pool supply store) I've also used perlite in place of the sand but prefer sand for no good reason. Pool sand can be bought at pool supply stores. I like to stay away from watering with tap (mine is 99-105 TDS) constantly but used to when I ran out of rain water. I grew many plants for a long time on tap + 100 TDS that I consider hardwater but did flush with rain water. I mean I watered with rainwater intemittently. My opinion, if you have to use tap but try and use rain water in stages to reduce the hardness. I currently have three rain barrels and keep adding them as my collection grows because pitcher plants are sensitive to cations. Also try and beat 6 hours of direct sun in summer.

If the plants have been in the same pot for 2 years, yeah repot, and that may be the issue. I agree with several above good posts. If you have a stagnant plant after meeting all of the requirements which in my experience are not completely necessary, it happens. I've been sent a few plants that just never took off for me and others that took over. If all of the plants are acting the same maybe change your water source, sun exposure, etc. If one is acting stale, it happens. I would repot atleast every two years or make divisions in winter or spring. The NASC auction is every spring and is a great way to add to your Sarracenia (or other) collection.

Hope this helped. Good Growing!
    Last edited by DroseraBug; 10-22-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    Not a Number mentioned mealy bugs. I have not noticed any on my plants. I grow cactus also and with them we can get Root Mealy Bugs right in the potting mix. Nasty critters. I suppose that would be impossible to get in wet boggy plants. Yes? No?

Thanks all for your help.
    They'll get into the roots for sure and survive flooded conditions. Just because you don't see 'em up top doesn't mean they aren't there. This just happens to be a pot of S. 'Tarnok':

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Number: Wow!! and Ugh!! That is one ugly photo of your Tarnock. Did the plant survive? With my cactus I use a 2% Soap solution drench and sometimes mix in Malathion to kill Root Mealy Bugs. What do you do for CP?

I made a video of my collection yesterday in lieu of a photo as it is easier for me at present. I did remove my Tarnock from the pot in the video and there was no evidence of Mealy Bug, but I did notice what may be a fungus on the pitchers of the plant. Could it be Rust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd7-zcfAczw
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast