Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use bayer advanced with merit and just add to the water of my circ bog. It goes systemic and is harmless they say to humans. But there are other options too.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysmith View Post
    Not a Number: Wow!! and Ugh!! That is one ugly photo of your Tarnock. Did the plant survive? With my cactus I use a 2% Soap solution drench and sometimes mix in Malathion to kill Root Mealy Bugs. What do you do for CP?

I made a video of my collection yesterday in lieu of a photo as it is easier for me at present. I did remove my Tarnock from the pot in the video and there was no evidence of Mealy Bug, but I did notice what may be a fungus on the pitchers of the plant. Could it be Rust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd7-zcfAczw
    Nice video of your plants, they all look healthy. As for the Tarnok, the spots you are seeing I think are quite normal for this time of year with older growth, mine look the same. If you look inside the pitchers, are there bugs piled up at these spots? I often see this same thing from bugs rotting in the pitchers and some will have actual holes where bees and yellow jackets try to chew their way out of the pitchers. This plant definitely needs to be repotted. I think you can wait until it has gone dormant later in winter to do this if you choose, but it would not harm it to repot now as I have transplanted many plants from pots to my bog this time of year with no ill-effect. You should see much better growth next year in a bigger pot, but these usually do not send up their best pitchers until late summer/early fall.

I am far from an expert, only speak from personal experience. I can go out tomorrow and take some pictures of my 2 Tarnok and PM you if you would like a comparison? I have one small Tarnok taken out of a very small pot this year and planted in the bog and it has small pitchers also like yours, and the other Tarnok the same situation last year and you should see it now that it has had a whole growing season with room to grow, along with the brown spots you are seeing with yours.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Number: Wow!! and Ugh!! That is one ugly photo of your Tarnock. Did the plant survive? With my cactus I use a 2% Soap solution drench and sometimes mix in Malathion to kill Root Mealy Bugs. What do you do for CP?
    I drenched it the day before with a solution of Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer. It's a concentrate with the same active ingredients as Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect Killer. The directions lists a concentration that is 6x higher than the Rose & Flower for use on soil pests. I divided the plants and pressure washed the roots and all the nooks and crannies on the rhizomes with water from the garden hose. After repotting I drenched them again and once a month for the next 3 months. I drenched all my Sarracenia pots as a precaution. No apparent ill effects on the plants.

So far no reinfestation (I pull the root ball out to check) since I treated them last year, but I doubt I'll ever be rid of them. If they come back I'll just toss the plants.

Spots/holes on the pitcher tubes - usually a wasp or honey bee trapped in the tube. Wasps can survive long enough to chew holes in the tube and sometimes escape. And either the nectar or venom in the honey bee cause the burns - perhaps they may even sting the tube?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    I am far from an expert, only speak from personal experience. I can go out tomorrow and take some pictures of my 2 Tarnok and PM you if you would like a comparison? I have one small Tarnok taken out of a very small pot this year and planted in the bog and it has small pitchers also like yours, and the other Tarnok the same situation last year and you should see it now that it has had a whole growing season with room to grow, along with the brown spots you are seeing with yours.
    I would like to see the photo's, but why not post them up here on this thread? That way others can see them too.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to do that last night, but my camera's batteries were low and so would not transfer the pictures. I will have this resolved today and post them this afternoon.

First frost of the season last night here, this summer went by so fast!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see the photo's, but why not post them up here on this thread? That way others can see them too.
    Here ya go http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypi...142842/detail/

I don't how you put pictures in posts, so have to direct you to Flickr. Can anyone help me with this?

These are pictures of leucophylla 'Tarnok' older pitchers and how the bugs breaking down discolors the outside of the pitchers and makes it look like they have a disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind
    Last edited by cpsammich; 10-26-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Pic didn't work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJ57

Thanks for the photo's. I checked my Tarnok tonight and see the bugs are at the level of the discoloration just as you have said. Well that is a relief.

As for photo's from your Flickr account. Open the photo by clicking on it. Above it is a pull down that says Share. Click on it and there is a link you copy and paste into your message. I did that and here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/6284186063/

Edit: Oops, it didn't work and just gave the link. I think you may need to remove the url from the brackets and replace it with img. I'll try that next.

Edit 2: That didn't work. Maybe the img brackets need to be added in front of the url

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/6284186063/[/img]

Edit 3: Just checked the code for the photo's I put up from Photobucket. There the IMG is all caps. And the url is not there.

Edit 4: I just uploaded my first photo to my Flickr account and didn't see the sharing features I see on Photobucket. I right clicked on my photo and copied the url in the properties pop up. Let me see if I get a link or a photo.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6035/...7f5be0a7_m.jpg

Edit 5: I clicked on share and a different url shows up

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68518219@N02/

Edit 6; I give up. I don't know how to use Flickr to post up photo's.
    Last edited by jerrysmith; 10-27-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast