Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first wild CPs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i take it you missed the darlingtonia talk @ BACPS last saturday? from the talk, it seems like there's a lot of variance within this species---there are those that stay green all year, while others turn dark red. there also happens to be a lot in variance in tongue size---some tongues are 2/3s the size of the pitchers. very cool pics! thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mass - feel free! If you click on the image it will take you to the Flickr page, where you can download a 2000 pixel wide version.

Amphirion - Yeah, I missed the last meeting (and the meeting before that, and the show) because BACPS doesn't seem to send out emails saying when those events are taking place. :\ I only find out about these things after the fact when I hear people talking about them.

In terms of absolute variance in this population, it was quite high - some pitchers were even more red than the ones pictured above, and the shaded plants had no trace of red. Relative variance seemed to be pretty low though, with >90% of the plants looking like the first couple photos (plain yellow-green) even in full sun. I've seen plants derived from this locality for sale, and they all had heavy red coloration, which leads me to believe they're from seed collected from the reddest plants in the bog.

I didn't notice anything about tongue size except that a sizable fraction of pitchers had no tongues at all; I figure this is due to herbivores eating them rather than a natural absence of that part. I'll have to go back there and check that out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful!
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Since I didn't have my wide angle lens, here is a cell phone shot of a larger area. Even this is just a small portion of the population:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice Natalie. if you were wondering, next meeting will be on Jan 21st at the Conservatory of Flowers in SF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I'll put that in my phone and hopefully I'll be able to make that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Darlintonia makes pretty decent amounts of nectar and in the peak of growth can even have a really pleasant sweet smell. I haven't payed particular attention to the timing of nectar production, but perhaps later in the season nectar tends to dry up.

I used to live in CA and also had the chance to see them in the wild (that was my first CP to see in the wild too!). It's definately a cool experience.

Very Nice pics
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures Natalie!! I did not know they grew in the Sierras, nice to see the diversity.

I just posted my pictures from the Siskiyou mountains in southern Oregon from this year in May. Quite a difference in color from the Sierras, although my trip was in May and the pitchers were last years growth. Fun to compare the differences in different locations. I will get some pictures of Darlingtonia on the Oregon Coast next year since it is only a few hours drive from me and post those, and hopefully go back to the Siskiyou mountains in southern Oregon in summer to get pics of new pitchers to compare the differences.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast