Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My trip to Darlingtonia country in the Siskiyous

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My trip to Darlingtonia country in the Siskiyous

I took a trip to southern Oregon this past May and took these pictures. Some of this habitat is on National Forest land, but a lot of it is not and 4-wheelers are destroying some of this prime Darlingtonia habitat. The pitchers are from last years growth. I am planning on making it down there next year in summer to get pictures of new growth pitchers. The flowers are amazing to see in this natural setting. See the pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypi...7627941058896/

Click on slideshow to see the pictures better.
    Last edited by DJ57; 10-21-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those are sooo amazing, especially the ones on the waterfall such a pretty scene

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsammich View Post
    Wow those are sooo amazing, especially the ones on the waterfall such a pretty scene
    Did you click on slideshow? The pictures look so much better in the slideshow, except the video at the end...I am an amateur photographer, point and shoot in auto mode,

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pictures! What a wonderful experience!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Very nice pictures! What a wonderful experience!
    Thank you

I am hooked now on finding CPs in the wild. I plan to go back to the Siskiyou mountains and see them at different times of the year. Because of this experience, I am experimenting with setting up a "fen" off my pond for my Darlingtonia and compare growth rate/health with the one in my bog. I will post pictures of it next year if successful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plants! It's incredible how red most of the ones in your photos are, especially since they seem to be partly shaded. Most of the ones I saw yesterday were growing in full sun and had very little red... It seems they are quite variable between the different populations. Did you happen upon this Darlingtonia site by chance while driving around? Or is it a locality published online? Or did you find it just by looking for suitable areas on Google Earth/Maps? Finding locations for these plants, at least in the Sierras, is proving to be pretty tricky I've found, but I want to take another trip and check out some places I have marked.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the red color is because they are last year's pitchers and old (mine get red over winter and turn back to green in spring), that is why I want to go there in summer to see what they look like then. I feel another obsession coming on, LOL

I knew they were in that area from word-of-mouth and went specifically to see them in the wild, but many sites exist near Grants Pass, Oegon. There is a Darlingtonia wayside in Florence, Oregon (google it) right on the coast with a different variety that are green with some growing in only filtered sunlight and others in full sun, all look pretty much the same. This coastal variety grows in totally different conditions than the mountain variety as far as temperature, light, water, pH, humidity, etc. I have not been there in winter yet to see if there is a color change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol....mind if i hijack? here's a thread of some darlingtonia photos taken in gasquet:
    http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=42514

very nice photos btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast