What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My trip to Darlingtonia country in the Siskiyous

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
I took a trip to southern Oregon this past May and took these pictures. Some of this habitat is on National Forest land, but a lot of it is not and 4-wheelers are destroying some of this prime Darlingtonia habitat. The pitchers are from last years growth. I am planning on making it down there next year in summer to get pictures of new growth pitchers. The flowers are amazing to see in this natural setting. See the pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/sets/72157627941058896/

Click on slideshow to see the pictures better.

Last edited:
Wow those are sooo amazing, especially the ones on the waterfall such a pretty scene

Wow those are sooo amazing, especially the ones on the waterfall such a pretty scene

Did you click on slideshow? The pictures look so much better in the slideshow, except the video at the end...I am an amateur photographer, point and shoot in auto mode, :blush:

Very nice pictures! What a wonderful experience!

Very nice pictures! What a wonderful experience!

Thank you

I am hooked now on finding CPs in the wild. I plan to go back to the Siskiyou mountains and see them at different times of the year. Because of this experience, I am experimenting with setting up a "fen" off my pond for my Darlingtonia and compare growth rate/health with the one in my bog. I will post pictures of it next year if successful.

Beautiful plants! It's incredible how red most of the ones in your photos are, especially since they seem to be partly shaded. Most of the ones I saw yesterday were growing in full sun and had very little red... It seems they are quite variable between the different populations. Did you happen upon this Darlingtonia site by chance while driving around? Or is it a locality published online? Or did you find it just by looking for suitable areas on Google Earth/Maps? Finding locations for these plants, at least in the Sierras, is proving to be pretty tricky I've found, but I want to take another trip and check out some places I have marked.

I don't know if the red color is because they are last year's pitchers and old (mine get red over winter and turn back to green in spring), that is why I want to go there in summer to see what they look like then. I feel another obsession coming on, LOL

I knew they were in that area from word-of-mouth and went specifically to see them in the wild, but many sites exist near Grants Pass, Oegon. There is a Darlingtonia wayside in Florence, Oregon (google it) right on the coast with a different variety that are green with some growing in only filtered sunlight and others in full sun, all look pretty much the same. This coastal variety grows in totally different conditions than the mountain variety as far as temperature, light, water, pH, humidity, etc. I have not been there in winter yet to see if there is a color change.

i got to go to the local ones here never did that

Beautiful pictures and scenery JD57!

I recognized the location/waterfall immediately :)

Wonderful site isn't it!

Amphirion: Did you go to Gasquet reacently with Mike and Mary?
I wish I could have made it too :p

'Anywho, wonderful pictures all of you!

Thank you. I just loved this trip even though it rained off and on all day. It was sad, though, that this area is not protected and seeing the countless number of young Darlingtonia near the road being driven over by all the 4-wheelers in this area and trees torn apart by people target shooting. I do plan to go back next summer to see these plants in their full growing season. I think getting pictures of them covered in snow would be cool, but don't know if I could make it down there then.

I'm going with some friends for New Year's. I had a fantastic time last December.
All the snow-capped Darlingtoina were wonderous!

I'm going with some friends for New Year's. I had a fantastic time last December.
All the snow-capped Darlingtoina were wonderous!

Do post pictures!

Back