Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Heliamphoras - Wistuba and problem

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new plants Steve, watch for any early signs of desiccation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously though, ALWAYS PREWET THE MEDIA! Even a relatively short time in dry media could dry up the small and delicate root hairs and cause water stress.
    Good luck

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Seeing as peat, especially, is hard to hydrate when dry, the media may not wet evenly and may take several hours to evenly wet. This means more water stress for your plants, which is bad...
    I guess I'm beating a dead horse by now (meaning the topic has already been adressed enough)...
    Looks like you have nice plants though
    Cheers
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Seriously though, ALWAYS PREWET THE MEDIA! Even a relatively short time in dry media could dry up the small and delicate root hairs and cause water stress.
    Good luck

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Seeing as peat, especially, is hard to hydrate when dry, the media may not wet evenly and may take several hours to evenly wet. This means more water stress for your plants, which is bad...
    I guess I'm beating a dead horse by now (meaning the topic has already been adressed enough)...
    Looks like you have nice plants though
    Cheers
    Thank you - I think I will now do a complete soaking/dunking tonight when I get home (in RO water). What is the humidity in your terrarium? Do you keep it 90-100%? I do have condensation on the glass, but I also know the Exo Terra gauges are not very accurate.
    You guys have me worried now!

Thanks,
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @steve: may i strongly suggest you visit your local petstore (one that sells fish) and ask for a few fish bags to put your heliamphora in...they will strongly benefit from doing so, and that will also raise up the relative humidity for your plant---do not start to unbag them until you see a new leaf developing (av8 tip)

also, a wise man on this forum told me that condensation on the glass does not equate with 90-100% humidity all the time. it just means that a certain surface is cooler than the area surrounding it, which causes water droplets from the air to collect on that surface.

best of luck....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want to go against the grain here, but I never pre-wet the medium. The reason being is that it is far more free flowing when it is dry, so makes it more likely to flow between the roots. I usually soak the plant roots, nowadays in a Trichoderma solution, pot it with the dry medium and then give it a good watering from the top. I also find that using dry medium helps if I need to adjust the height of the plant after starting to fill the pot, as there is no heavy medium clinging to the roots. If there is a concern that some of the peat could stay non-wetted then soaking the pot in deep water should alleviate this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I did bag them up and did purchase some Trichoderma from Crystal's Carnivores.

Thank you everyone for your comments!
    Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good! Good luck. I dont bag the plants I get from wistuba because my humidity is never below 90%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12