What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Heliamphoras - Wistuba and problem

I just received three Heliamphoras from Wistuba.

The problem was I ordered and paid for FOUR. So after contacting Wistuba Iwas told they shipped four to their US distribution in Hagerstown, MD, but they did not send them all to me.
But I am happy to report that Wistuba said that they will send me the missing plant in their next shipping to the USA in November...

ANY way here are the photos.

Heliamphora Heterordex x Nutans
heli-hetero-nutans-1.jpg

heli-hetero-nutans-2.jpg

heli-hetero-nutans-3.jpg

Steverd

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Heliamphora Chimantensis (Chimanta)
It was crushed a little.

heli-chimantensis-1.jpg

heli-chimantensis-2.jpg

Steverd

he he....I ordered a het x nutans and chimantensis from him as well, It came yesterday.... Check my heliamphora set up thread, I have pictures as well. You should bag the plants up so that they have 100% humidity.

Heliamphora Hispida (small but cute!)

heli-hispida.jpg

Group photo.
heli-all-4.jpg

Steverd

your media seems to be quite on the dry side....
do keep in mind that your plants are relatively fragile and not hardened and are prone to osmotic shock and that the main means why which these plants obtain their water is through the roots....

i would wet your media to the point where it's almost slopping wet, then bag it as suggested....

great plants though! hope you have fun with them.

your media seems to be quite on the dry side....
do keep in mind that your plants are relatively fragile and not hardened and are prone to osmotic shock and that the main means why which these plants obtain their water is through the roots....

i would wet your media to the point where it's almost slopping wet, then bag it as suggested....

great plants though! hope you have fun with them.

Oh - yes, I had just potted and hadn't watered yet. They are now watered with RO water
and in one of my terrariums.

Thank you for the comment!
Steverd

next time, you should pre-wet the media first before using it...this will ensure that the media is completely saturated and is capable of catering to your plant's needs....

Good luck with them!

next time, you should pre-wet the media first before using it...this will ensure that the media is completely saturated and is capable of catering to your plant's needs....

I seem to always forget that - thanks.
I uses a mix of peat, perlite and sand. About a 40-40-20 mix.

Steve

Congrats on the new plants Steve, watch for any early signs of desiccation.

Seriously though, ALWAYS PREWET THE MEDIA! Even a relatively short time in dry media could dry up the small and delicate root hairs and cause water stress.
Good luck

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Seeing as peat, especially, is hard to hydrate when dry, the media may not wet evenly and may take several hours to evenly wet. This means more water stress for your plants, which is bad...
I guess I'm beating a dead horse by now (meaning the topic has already been adressed enough)...
Looks like you have nice plants though
Cheers

Seriously though, ALWAYS PREWET THE MEDIA! Even a relatively short time in dry media could dry up the small and delicate root hairs and cause water stress.
Good luck

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Seeing as peat, especially, is hard to hydrate when dry, the media may not wet evenly and may take several hours to evenly wet. This means more water stress for your plants, which is bad...
I guess I'm beating a dead horse by now (meaning the topic has already been adressed enough)...
Looks like you have nice plants though
Cheers

Thank you - I think I will now do a complete soaking/dunking tonight when I get home (in RO water). What is the humidity in your terrarium? Do you keep it 90-100%? I do have condensation on the glass, but I also know the Exo Terra gauges are not very accurate.
You guys have me worried now!

Thanks,
Steve

@steve: may i strongly suggest you visit your local petstore (one that sells fish) and ask for a few fish bags to put your heliamphora in...they will strongly benefit from doing so, and that will also raise up the relative humidity for your plant---do not start to unbag them until you see a new leaf developing (av8 tip)

also, a wise man on this forum told me that condensation on the glass does not equate with 90-100% humidity all the time. it just means that a certain surface is cooler than the area surrounding it, which causes water droplets from the air to collect on that surface.

best of luck....

Don't want to go against the grain here, but I never pre-wet the medium. The reason being is that it is far more free flowing when it is dry, so makes it more likely to flow between the roots. I usually soak the plant roots, nowadays in a Trichoderma solution, pot it with the dry medium and then give it a good watering from the top. I also find that using dry medium helps if I need to adjust the height of the plant after starting to fill the pot, as there is no heavy medium clinging to the roots. If there is a concern that some of the peat could stay non-wetted then soaking the pot in deep water should alleviate this.

OK, I did bag them up and did purchase some Trichoderma from Crystal's Carnivores.

Heli-all-4b.jpg

Thank you everyone for your comments!
Steve

Looks good! Good luck. I dont bag the plants I get from wistuba because my humidity is never below 90%

Back