User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cephalotus - powder-y pitchers ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cephalotus - powder-y pitchers ?

Anyone know what's going on with this growth point ? Had some of it on the upper leaf as well, comes off when you rub it. Thought it could be the babies of that powdery pest but they don't look anything i know under magnifying glass...
    Any ideas ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's either fungus or mineral buildup from water. You may need to repot the plant into fresh soil and/or increase light.

If it's fungus, higher light and more air circulation will help clear it up. If it's mineral buildup from water, you may need to repot the plant because the soil might be full of minerals.

Where do you get your water?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My water is RO. Same water I've been using for a few years. This pot is outside in open air on a south facing balcony, this is the only one with the powder stuff.

I noticed the Tarnok thread after posting this. Towards the end NaN has posted a photo of his plant infested with mealy bugs; that one looks a lot like mine. Will treat that portion and see if that's it...Weird, I haven't seen that pest in years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the terrible mildew, you have to keep the plant ventilated and avoid stagnation of water at the bottom of the pot.
    when the water ends, wait two or three days and add it again.
    To remove the mildew, try using use a solution based on sulfur.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it appears to be powdery mildew or fungus. You should clean off as much as you can with a cloth, small brush or cotton swab dampened with a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol. Dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide or 70% rubbing alcohol at least 4 to 1. You want the solution to evaporate quickly so don't apply a lot. Trim off any dead leaves and pitchers.

Then treat the plant with either a Neem extract or sulfur based fungicide. Sulfur is best used on powdery fungi and acts as a preventative killing new spores on contact - until the sulfur is washed away.

A systemic fungicide like Benamyl or Cleary's 3336 work very well with Cephalotus. Benamyl is no longer available in the Western Hemisphere but you may be able to get it in Turkey.

Oils and sulfur should not be used in conjunction as oils will stop the effectiveness of the sulfur. The instructions typically warn not to use within 30 days of oil application. Neem extract is a low persistance oil and usually dissipates in 3-7 days so applying sulfur a couple weeks after Neem should be ok.

Be sure to follow the instructions on the labels.

As far as cultivation goes what works best depends a lot on your environment, experience and skills. For the most part for beginners a quickly draining media mixture with a good amount of coarse sand, pumice or perlite works well. Avoid long periods of standing water and provide plenty of air circulation.

Some growing tips:
    http://culturesheet.org/cephalotacea...s:follicularis
    http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/index.html#
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am completely baffled. My balcony is quite windy (5th floor), receives about 8 hours of sun during summer. Of course it's much less now since it's winter but still...I have never run into this problem but I am not as experienced as the most of you; my oldest cepha just hit 2 years old.
    Attaching a few pics of my balcony. Problem plant is to the back with two divisions on the left and right.
    I am using two types of mix for cepha; one is Charles Brewer's Mix and the other is a basic peat + perlite with more perlite than peat, topped with live sphag...The problem plant is peat + perlite mix and the problem growth point is at the back of the raised mound, receiving the least amount of direct sunlight. I will rotate it and see if it gets better.

Thank you for the replies, this was an awesome help for me. I have treated it with rubbing alcohol for the moment and will look into getting the other supplies.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the mysteries of life. I have two Drosera paradoxa side by side in the same tank, one is growing wildly producing flowers while the other appears to be going dormant.

Check again closely for aphids, scale or mealybugs. Powdery fungus are often a sign of these pests and the hairs on Cephalotus make it hard to spot them. A few sources say the hairs prevent such infestations. Don't believe it.

Our resident emtomologist says you may be able to smell a sweetish scent like honeydew melon in bad infestations. Don't let your friends or family see you sniffing your plants

Very nice collection by the way.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bad case of PM on one of my cephalotus'. It took forever to get rid of but I used potassium bicarbonate and it finally disappeared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast