Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too cold outside for dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i lost over half of my outdoor plants a couple years ago because of a cold snap. it stayed about 10 degrees farenheit for over two weeks. ive had my plants freeze before but i think that was just too hardcore for them....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Poland, in the mountain-ish part, so it's pretty cold here already.I don't have a cold garage, so it's either outside, inside or fridge. I'll go with fridge 'cause during winter temps sometimes get down to -30 at day over here. By spring my sarr might be freeze-dried.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refrigerator dormancy couldn't be easier. Although the grower in the video is the in the tropics the same method works in cold regions too.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123824
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then it's the fridge. Oh, and one more thing. As it looks like the pot will explode 'cause of the root system, i'm going to replant it. But i'm running low of peat( I dont have any left ), so i'd like to know if i could use pure live sphagnum moss(I have LOADS of it in my yard) mixed with a little perlite ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live Sphagnum moss works. You might not even need perlite. You'll have to experiment to see what works best depending on your conditions. The drawback I find with using live Sphagnum is it overgrows the crown making it difficult to spot and treat pest infestations such as mealybugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly suggest replanting it in the spring just before growth starts instead of this fall. While fridge dormancy works, it can make the plants more succeptible to fungus, since they will be in an enclosed space with no air movement. The risk of fungus increases if you divide plants, damage roots, etc while repotting, which stresses the plant and exposes tissue to be attacked by fungus. Just keep that in mind and have a fungicide handy. Monitor the plants frequently for fungus either way while they are in the fridge. Disturb them as little as possible untill spring.
    Other people might have different opinions based on their conditions, but this has been my experience.
    Last edited by richjam1986; 11-07-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'K, will do... I already prepared a solution of fungicide and watered the plant with it. Now to cut off those pitchers
    Thanks for the help, C' ya.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the video linked to above the nursery owner mentions he does not wash the fungicide out before bagging them up. I would guess there is a fungicide in the water he uses to rinse the media out of the roots, hence the gloves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast