Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harvested Heliamphora pollen

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

Outstanding, and yeah.... it's a deal. But I've got to catch up

I am wanting to try to do a little research on heli pollen and see what works best. Hopefully, I can grow some pollen tubes and be able to compare apples to apples finally.

Looks as though you are having some great success mate, any pollination tips or tricks you might share with the yanks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Butch
    yer , i think you all ready know , but really its fresh pollen that works best , and getting to the flower , just as the pettels open at the front too ,you know what i mean right , just as the front opens up just enough for a bee or wasp to squeeze through , is the time to pollinate , the receptor is ripe then , i just open up the flower more and pollinate , do it about 2 or 4 times in a hours seems to work good too , just like they get in the wild ,I use a fine art brush too , dab some fresh pollen on and gently dad the receptor , , it goes brown or dark as soon is it pollinated
    hope that is understandable

the fresher the pollen the more seed you get , one of those pod had 80 seeds in it ,was stocked at that , the hybrids seem to produce more seed than the specie too , why will be keen to see what the ionasii will give me , the pollen as a mungrel to extract
    j

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snapperhead51 View Post
    Hi Butch
    yer , i think you all ready know , but really its fresh pollen that works best , and getting to the flower , just as the pettels open at the front too ,you know what i mean right , just as the front opens up just enough for a bee or wasp to squeeze through , is the time to pollinate , the receptor is ripe then , i just open up the flower more and pollinate , do it about 2 or 4 times in a hours seems to work good too , just like they get in the wild ,I use a fine art brush too , dab some fresh pollen on and gently dad the receptor , , it goes brown or dark as soon is it pollinated
    hope that is understandable

the fresher the pollen the more seed you get , one of those pod had 80 seeds in it ,was stocked at that , the hybrids seem to produce more seed than the specie too , why will be keen to see what the ionasii will give me , the pollen as a mungrel to extract
    j
    not only understandable, but also identical ;-)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snapperhead51 View Post
    j
    Hybrid vigor?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Butch,

Do you have any time approximations for how long it takes from flower bloom to anthers turning yellow and the pollen being ready for harvest? Also, how long is the pollen viable for harvest?

thanks

update:
    Likely varies from species to species and based on conditions, but for what its worth, appears to take a few days to a week.
    Last edited by zlookup; 04-09-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: updated
    --------
    z

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123