Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What pest, specifically

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What pest, specifically

I am baffled by a pest that shows up in my pots time and again. Have looked it up every time and I know that's amazing but it looks like I am the only person in the world who has seen it! No ID.
    I think I can get rid of it, but I REALLY want to learn what it is, more out of heightened curiousity than anything; plus there's the fact it has finally found a pot I can't drown...

I can see it well under loupe.
    Please consider that this is certainly not a springtail, aphid or thrips. I am well familiar with those.

It's found on the soil and rhizome area. When you drown the pot, you see them scurrying up the stems in little groups. Black, oval (like a mite), clearly visible antennae. Microscope reveals mandible like small mouth.
    It walks a steady pace but jumps when threatened. Not as fast as thrips but certainly very mobile...Biggest one is a little smaller than a VFT seed.

Here is the damage,

And here is the current residence! When you shake the pot over a white sheet of paper, you'll see them falling on it, walking fast and jumping around...
    Sadly I can't drown this pot, I don't want to risk the root cutting of cephalotus.

My guess is that it's a kind of mite but Google's mite pictures don't have any antennae...

Has anyone got a latin name for it so I can do some research ?

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google "root aphid".
    These show up occassionally in this area.
    They may be hard to get rid of if using weak pesticides.
    Not sure of the affect this product will have on the CP, but on Cannabis we use a soil drench of "Pyganic 5%".
    Once and done.....'till next year anyway.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, see, this is the closest I've come.

My doubts (on aphids) are based on the fact that these guys walk pretty fast. Think ants. They also jump like springtails. I have never seen such mobile aphids...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are a type of globular springtail yes. In the Sminthuridae group. They have those fat bodies and will cause plant damage.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect match...
    Freaked me out as I have a small tank full of springtails, Burmannii seedlings love to "hug" them so much... They are elongated though, didn't know there was a globular, "evil" type!

There's even an Attenborough video on them,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sq2g...eature=related

After watching their love dance, I realized I couldn't stay mad at them...Thank you very much, I'll have some nice reading tonight.