What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Eden Black" -- F1

fingers crossed mate. Lets hope they take. If even few of those recessive pigment genes get transferred, you should have some stellar clones of cephs.

Good luck. It will be interesting to see what variations you get in colouration.

According to Wikipedia, F1 hybrid is:

'[...] seeds/plants or animal offspring resulting from a cross mating of distinctly different parental types. The term is sometimes written with a subscript, as F<sub>1</sub> hybrid. The offspring of distinctly different parental types produce a new, uniform variety with specific characteristics from either or both parents'

If this definition is correct, then Cephalotus follicularis cv. 'Eden Black' x 'Eden Black' does not appear to match this.

Last edited:
Wikipedia said:
F2 hybrid
While an F2 hybrid, the result of self or cross pollination of an F1
sooo i guess it's F2?

Here's a slap-happy series of shots from a pair of centrifuge tubes this morning . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Eden Black" F1
EBXEB.jpg

coming along nicely.. :clap:

According to Wikipedia, F1 hybrid is:

'[...] seeds/plants or animal offspring resulting from a cross mating of distinctly different parental types. The term is sometimes written with a subscript, as F<sub>1</sub> hybrid. The offspring of distinctly different parental types produce a new, uniform variety with specific characteristics from either or both parents'

If this definition is correct, then Cephalotus follicularis cv. 'Eden Black' x 'Eden Black' does not appear to match this.

Also, the term "hybrid" is reserved for the crossing of two plants NOT of the same species, so any crosses involving selections/cultivars of C. follicularis cannot be described as hybrids, since the genus is monospecific.

very nice david! great to see....

F0 is considered the source.
F1 is considered the offspring of F0
F2 is considered the offspring of F1, etc etc etc....

the F label is independent of hybridic origin.

Also, the term "hybrid" is reserved for the crossing of two plants NOT of the same species, so any crosses involving selections/cultivars of C. follicularis cannot be described as hybrids, since the genus is monospecific.
Would Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black" selfed seeds be more accurate a description? To my mind an F1 is a crossing between different parents.

@mobile: yes i guess you could, but what would you name the F2 generation?

Would Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black" selfed seeds be more accurate a description? To my mind an F1 is a crossing between different parents.

We had been hemming and hawing about this for a while; and a friend of mine whose wife is a botanist suggested that it is correct, while there are others who differ . . .

Would Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black" selfed seeds be more accurate a description? .

Yes, that is far more accurate a description. Its quite clear that "hybrid" indicates a cross between two individuals NOT of the same species. There is no such thing as a "Cephalotus hybrid", since it is a nonospecific genus. I believe botany nomenclature is clear on this point. However, feel free to prove me wrong ;-)

Hi, a quick question: What is the composition of the media culture you're using?

Hi, a quick question: What is the composition of the media culture you're using?

For most of the Cephalotus seed, I used a standard 2:3 Knudsen-C with .75 ml/L NAA; other batches were cultured in 25% MS with vitamins at pH 5 -- some with BAP and others without any PGRs whatsoever. The best results to date -- and those shown in the photos -- came from the Knudsen-C. Other growers prefer liquid media for the species; but I have seen no real difference in the results and prefer solid cultures . . .

Nice, I want to give TC a try with Droseras...
Maybe you can help me out...
So far I investigated that the MS-0 is the most widely used one, at about 30% concentration with extra sugar... I can't find at what pH... ???

I got some seeds from Stephen since last year Sep
and they are now growing pretty well!
2012-03-06033044.jpg

2012-03-06033016.jpg

I can't wait to see them grow up. :-D

MY seedlings look like that too!! I didn't know if the leaves for dying because they are so red.

Back