Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: "Eden Black" -- F1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a progress shot, from freshly plated seed to the first sign of germination and callus formation:

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 2 May

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love Ceph's...
    But otally hate how effingly slowly the grow...

Mine was eaten by my sister's golden retriever ¬¬"
    Literally...
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a recent update on the Cephalotus, now that they have been introduced into a multiplication media. For those unfamiliar with the process, that is when tissue culture actually begins (before that stage was simply aseptic germination); and the multiplication refers to the production of any number of plantlets through the use of various plant growth regulators. What are visible are the production of calluses -- undifferentiated tissue -- that will ultimately divide into untold numbers of nasty little plants, which will hopefully resemble its parent . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 19 June 2012

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a thread with regards to the growth rate of these seeds in a traditional soil mix over on CPUK Forum, with some remarkable results: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=44997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    There's a thread with regards to the growth rate of these seeds in a traditional soil mix over on CPUK Forum, with some remarkable results: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=44997
    Yeah, I saw that; but since I received seed a little late in the game; was concerned for its viability, and pressed for time -- decided upon the TC route . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Yeah, I saw that; but since I received seed a little late in the game; was concerned for its viability, and pressed for time -- decided upon the TC route . . .
    Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't questioning your motive for TC... just found it really interesting on the speed these seeds have matured in traditional cultivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BigBella, I am new to terraforums and am a tcer myself. I focus on asymbiotic germination of Cypripedium species (lady slippers), however I have been dipping my hands into the tissue of cps as well. I was wondering how the EB - F1 seeds have fared? I am entering this thread a bit late, but was also curious what media you used, some variation of ms? Have you tried ceph meristem? Any luck avoiding phenolic oxidation?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Eden Black x Self seeds have done well and several have formed friable root or shoot-forming calli (I'll post photos when I have the chance); and the media have ranged from dilute MS (1:4 or 1:3) with NAA; to 2:3 Knudsen-C; to a proprietary, low ammonium media being developed. While I haven't used meristematic tissue for TC, I have successfully used "vegetative" leaves of Cephalotus; juvenile pitchers; flower stalks; seed and rhizome tissue.

Phenolic "issues" can largely be avoided by handling the explants carefully during sterilization and by frequent re-plating (often within the same container) should discoloration occur; it eventually stops, though many tropical and sub-tropical plants are particularly high in phenolic compounds . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 08-24-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast