What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Eden Black" -- F1

Yeah, I saw that; but since I received seed a little late in the game; was concerned for its viability, and pressed for time -- decided upon the TC route . . .
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't questioning your motive for TC... just found it really interesting on the speed these seeds have matured in traditional cultivation.

Hi BigBella, I am new to terraforums and am a tcer myself. I focus on asymbiotic germination of Cypripedium species (lady slippers), however I have been dipping my hands into the tissue of cps as well. I was wondering how the EB - F1 seeds have fared? I am entering this thread a bit late, but was also curious what media you used, some variation of ms? Have you tried ceph meristem? Any luck avoiding phenolic oxidation?

The Eden Black x Self seeds have done well and several have formed friable root or shoot-forming calli (I'll post photos when I have the chance); and the media have ranged from dilute MS (1:4 or 1:3) with NAA; to 2:3 Knudsen-C; to a proprietary, low ammonium media being developed. While I haven't used meristematic tissue for TC, I have successfully used "vegetative" leaves of Cephalotus; juvenile pitchers; flower stalks; seed and rhizome tissue.

Phenolic "issues" can largely be avoided by handling the explants carefully during sterilization and by frequent re-plating (often within the same container) should discoloration occur; it eventually stops, though many tropical and sub-tropical plants are particularly high in phenolic compounds . . .

Last edited:
I was wondering how the EB - F1 seeds have fared? I am entering this thread a bit late, but was also curious what media you used, some variation of ms? Have you tried ceph meristem? Any luck avoiding phenolic oxidation?

Here is a photo of a root-forming callus (as opposed to those producing shoots or leaves) of the "selfed" seed mentioned earlier. Root formation is often the weakest link in terms of tissue cultured plants; and commercial growers -- to cut costs -- often transfer "plantlets" of many species to compost to root ex vitro. I have found that Cephalotus, in particular, is far more successful and vigorous if there is something more substantial below the soil . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self"
25 August

EBCALLUS-1.jpg

I was also very encouraged by the bright red coloration of the earliest "vegetative" leaves on another callus, even under the moderate lighting conditions of a growing room:

EB12.jpg

Last edited:
That's for the update. I keep checking this thread to see how everyones seedlings are coming along. I'm excited and I don't even have one!

Here are a couple of other shots of root-producing calli in Muroshige-Skoog-based multiplication media -- both of which currently look like something out of a Lovecraft story:

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 28 August

EBCALLUSB.jpg

EBCALLUSBC.jpg

it's alive... ALIVE!! :mwahaha:

Thats Freakin awesome David. Way far ahead from where my seedlings are.

Thats Freakin awesome David. Way far ahead from where my seedlings are.

Thanks Rob. Here's a shot of one of the "explants" producing something which actually resembles a plant:

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 30 August
EBFRIABLE.jpg

Here is an update on some of the cultures. While somewhat difficult to see in the photos, I have been encouraged by the depth of color in the first flat "vegetative" leaves (seen as a fringe along the top of the 18 September photo) -- produced after transfer to a media without any plant growth regulators (PGRs). They are of a deep, deep red, similar to that seen in a kidney bean . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 28 August
EBCALLUSB.jpg

EBCALLUSBC.jpg

18 September

EBCALLUS-2.jpg

EBCALLUS-B.jpg

Looks like some wierd alien spider growing in there! Great color forming already though!

very cool old friend, these seem like they have been a pita for ya.... and you da tc guru

looks like they are going to make for some very special looking cephs

It's nice to look at these small plants :)

Looks like some wierd alien spider growing in there! Great color forming already though!

I was just thinking that it looked like an alien spider haha!!

Cool Creating Life Forms!
.. :alien:
:spider:

Here is the last update for 2012 of one of several Cephalotus cultures; and some appear to look promising . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 10 December
EDENBLACKSELFED.jpg

quite promising..

You're so right! That totally looks like a baby tarantula!

Back