What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli pollen observations

I feel somehow dirty after that pollen tube spectacle -- but compelled to look as always. Three stars; I'd give it four but don't wish to further encourage Butch's smut-peddling . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DVmfd1x5L8&feature=related

you silly man, I didnt post the NC17 version.... that cost $4.99USD to view

very nicly done Butch , never seen heli pollen before up close and personal , thanks for the effort mate very cool indeed
J

Thanks John, fun project.... and uber easy once I had the right resources and technique.

I hope to determine the "shelf life" of heli pollen and the effectiveness of common storage techniques

:D

Plant Gametes!:0o:

Very cool, I have never seen any kind of pollen close up before...

I hope to determine the "shelf life" of heli pollen and the effectiveness of common storage techniques

I trust an article in CPN is in the works.

I trust an article in CPN is in the works.
This is a 'must-do'! Looking forward to seeing you published. Bob Z. can facilitate your efforts ....

Congrats on the success. :hail:

Holler if you think you might want to try some U. asplundii pollen.

Last edited:
This is so cool :laaa:

This is a 'must-do'! Looking forward to seeing you published. Bob Z. can facilitate your efforts ....

Maybe even a presentation at the ICPS conference...

you silly man, I didnt post the NC17 version.... that cost $4.99USD to view

Thanks John, fun project.... and uber easy once I had the right resources and technique.

Ok mate that would be very cool indeed , look forward to your pending as time allows results
let me be on your number one let know list please
thanks
J

Confirmation, Heli pollen can be stored frozen and remain viable!

Sample dried for two days in fridge using desiccant then froze for 7 days... thawed and checked for tube growth.

Growth observed :)

Now the next question.... but for how long?

woot woot!

Last edited:
"Woot, woot," indeed. Congratulations. I'll bring a marine air-horn to the ICPS conference . . .

Next, cold fusion . . .

hehehehe... just need my oscillation overthruster

Scales arrived today....

Now waiting on research grade boric acid and calcium nitrate.

Heli pollen tube research part deux; I need to come up with a media of unquestionable repeatability with better imaging characteristics.
I not only want to check for tube growth, but also hope to quantify percentages.

:p

Butch, I wonder whose FBI file is that much thicker now -- yours or mine?

:lol: I wonder what the government thinks your doing.

David,

prob didn't help that I got the chems at United Nuclear LOL....

100g/L Sucrose (10%)
100mg/L Boric Acid
300 mg/L Calcium Nitrate

No growth...
(Interesting, I was expecting to see growth with this media....)

2-5% will be next attempt

Onion epidermis may be the way I have to go

100g/L Sucrose (10%)
100mg/L Boric Acid
300 mg/L Calcium Nitrate

No growth...
(Interesting, I was expecting to see growth with this media....)

2-5% will be next attempt

Onion epidermis may be the way I have to go

Perhaps attempting to duplicate the amount of sucrose common to TC media would be of help. 100 g/L of sucrose is well over three times the maximum amount for any media . . .

most refs mention 20%.... so that is where i started, but working my way down from there

ill try 2% Thursday :)

ummmm so what is the TC sucrose level?

but i doubt an onion epidermis is anywhere near 10-20% (at least that is what hillbilly common sense tells me)

most refs mention 20%.... so that is where i started, but working my way down from there

ill try 2% Thursday :)

ummmm so what is the TC sucrose level?

but i doubt an onion epidermis is anywhere near 10-20% (at least that is what hillbilly common sense tells me)

The typical amount of sucrose is 25-30 g/L . . .

Back