What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli pollen observations

yep.... i know it, and start looking for some cheap scales...

already found cheap source for small quantities of boric acid (I probably already have it, use to use it as a flux) and calcium nitrate

meh, if it was that simple it would have already been done i guess

Laugh while you can, monkey boy, but I have found decent scales at ridiculously-cheap, Chinese prison labor prices on "schmee-bay."

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._nkw=digital+scales&_sacat=See-All-Categories

woohooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Ive got pollen tubes!!!!!!!

so far, the onion epidermis is working... I wish i had the imager, man.... is it ever obvious. They are already many, many times longer then the pollen grain itself.

Amazing that much growth can happen is such a short period.

Fresh H. folliculata pollen with Spanish Onion epidermis = works!

Congratulations -- soon the world will be yours. Please sign me up for a tour of your volcano lair . . .

Back to the fifth dimension buckaroo banzai

oh, i wonder if the software that comes with the imager is capable of doing it

that would be so cool.....

david, does your celestron software do time lapse?

hmmm may have to do it manually so the light doesnt stay on and bake em...

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Same Fresh H. folliculata pollen with 20% Sucrose (by volume) = no growth

Early indications are the previously frozen H. tatei on leek is going to be positive for growth as well.

It was started a couple hours behind the other samples but I think I see early signs of growth.
(this would prove the freezing technique :D )

Will verify in a couple hours.

:D

I would be surprised if it the software didn't. Even my toy Intel/Mattel/DigitalBlue USB microscope takes movies and timelapse shots. If Windows sees the imager as a TWAIN device you can find software out there to do it.

Time to upgrade to a cold light source illuminator. I replaced the bulbs in my toy with ultrabright white LEDs but the driver was color corrected for the incandescent bulbs and there is no way to tweak color correction in the driver so everything is way too blue. Sometimes too way off to correct in Photoshop. Then if there is a mirror for under the stage you could always use that.

Last edited:
Leek epidermis + previously frozen H. tatei = no tube growth

Not only is there no growth, but the pollen grains now appear deformed.
They are no longer round but barrel shaped. I cant say for sure they weren't that shape when I made the slide. However, I think I would have noticed it, it is quite pronounced. I'm almost positive they were round when I checked on them a couple hours ago.

It may have been a technique error as well, In my haste I didnt take time to thaw properly.

Need to try frozen pollen with the onion epidermis and fresh pollen with the leek

--Pink Floyd?

By the way, which one is Pink?

Oh, tracking shows imager should be delivered today, maybe be able to post some pics as early as tonight or tomorrow... Will have to start new sample first, they are very perishable me thinks. If I would've thought I would refrigerated the successful slide.

I also got the scope cleaned, just needed a puff or two or 20 from squeeze ball air thingy

:p

So.. where's the pics of stuff in this thread? I'm the slow kid in the back of the class who's the visual learner...

:D

Ladies and gentleman, let me introduce you to...
(As far as I know, photographed for the first time)

Heliamphora folliculata pollen tubes

folliculata_pollentubes_hf.jpg

folliculata_pollentubes2_hf.jpg

folliculata_pollentubes3_hf.jpg

and a little movie showing the length of one of these tubes... sorry for getting my up/down/right/left confused a couple times

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_z1kFnaYenU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:)

thx for looking

Woohoo ask and ye shall receive! :hail:

Wonderful!!

So does it do timelapse?

Well, I've not read the manual but I dont think so.... it has single pic, burst and movie mode

Ill dig around a little but I dont see anywhere that I can "easily" adjust the burst times.

Its a very, very basic utility..... did I say basic LOL, think DOS 5.0 utility basic

I think I will get the boric acid and calcium nitrate and experiement. It would be nice to do it without the background clutter.

Hmm, I downloaded it the other day, there was a 3rd option to take several shots after the movie option. No camera so it wouldn't do anything. No helps in the helps folder either. Maybe a newer version?

I think that must be the "burst" option.... it takes x number of pics in a row. I dont see any way to customize the interval though. But maybe a registry variable I can tweek.... dunno yet.

My laptop wouldnt read the included cdrom, I had to go to website and download the software. It sould be the newest version

But ive not had a chance to really look into it much... I'll endeavor to take a better look tomorrow.

I would love to do time lapse without doing it manually.

On and I looked a little for a LED retrofit for my halogen scope illuminator, Ive not found one yet.

very nicly done Butch , never seen heli pollen before up close and personal , thanks for the effort mate very cool indeed
J

Back