Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus from my trip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    so it looks like the majority of the cephs in the wild grow on hills? and grow with their pitchers facing downward?

the snipped flowerstalk in the 11th photo makes me partially sad---but is probably necessary since there's a shallow gene pool for the ones presently in cultivation....

beautiful plants John! thanks for sharing with us.
    yep truly incredable plants ,as far as flower stalks on these plants remember these are in the wild not in my back yard, so a subjected to wild animals and insects feeding on them too , there in true open wild counntry we call bush land !! at this young stage the stalks are very frigile and easly disloged more than likely a kangaroo hopping past and wiped the tall grass or reeds and cut it off or a rabbit having a quick snack , who knows ??
    only one site had hill side growth , and most people know this site as it plastered all over the net ,and extreemly easy to see, if you get good directions , the others are just near water soaks and beside small streems , in with particular native growth, once you know what they growth with mainly , you can find them , but I had 2 people that have been doing and finding them for the last 40 plus years with me so a lot i went to have never been seen by others and hoefully stay that way !!

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

thaks for your comments , and i can tell you seeing these in the wild i got very excited about it ,they are 100 times beter in the wild than any T/C or home grown plants we may have >>

By going in the wild and looking at these plants i have learned a great deal about them but one trip dont make me a expert, seeing them in the wild and grwing them in my green house is complettly differnt , but i do have a better understanding of the growth habits now and what they growing in too
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what are they growing in

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing these amazing pics!!! Not every day that a seph bog is shown...

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been to mount trusmadi? I would love to see some macro, villosa, and eddie pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else see the *slight* correlation between the color of the surrounding earth/vegetation and the color of the pitchers? (The more green ones are surrounded by greener foliage, the purple ones surrounded by more dirt/dark moss) Perhaps just a coincidence.

Wonderful pictures, you're very lucky to see them in the wild!

-CJ
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look incredible! I love the 5th pic, so many of them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsammich View Post
    so what are they growing in
    they grow in a peaty root ladened soil, mix , its qute interesting to see hard to explain as its all AU native grass, reeds and tree matter in it too
    J

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    Have you been to mount trusmadi? I would love to see some macro, villosa, and eddie pics!
    got villosa shots , just planing a trip to there in 2 years time not next Nov the one after , just getting the arrangements started now
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnstuckinTime View Post
    Does anyone else see the *slight* correlation between the color of the surrounding earth/vegetation and the color of the pitchers? (The more green ones are surrounded by greener foliage, the purple ones surrounded by more dirt/dark moss) Perhaps just a coincidence.

Wonderful pictures, you're very lucky to see them in the wild!

-CJ
    Interesting you should notice that , most people would think that a ceph is a ceph , right !! , from the many sites I went to there are many distinct size , colour and habit that the ceph grow in and adapt to , giving them all green , and variation in colour up to Eden black coloration status , it seems to be where there are growing , light and soil and surrounding cover that influences they growth and coloration , one in full sun is still greenish and very large , in one site and another in partial shade is deep purple in another site !! its very interesting, and worth a second and third look on my behalf i think some time down the track !!
    J

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast