Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ceph vid Coal mine beach

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, wanted hubby to see them but came home too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why was it removed??

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    why was it removed??
    Quote Originally Posted by snapperhead51 View Post
    have been requested to remove these vid's from the thread by a Mod , , so will do any complaints ask the mods ?/
    J
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my exact pm to snapperhead51...The removal is his own doing.

I do not like being maligned and have my fellow mods being placed under suspicion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy
    Hi,

I am sure you are excited to share about your trip but could you consider removing/down playing the location of the Cephs in the forum? Coal Mine beach is easily found with the use of a map and with your vids, it makes it even easier to locate the plants.

Hope that something like the following does not happen again...it was right after someone posted about their trip to WA.

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=2402

Thanks loads,
    Cindy
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fine Cindy but I don't think that with these vids this would happen again that u point only because snapperhead51 put them here. There is no guarantee that poaching will not happen again even without them, is that? Beside this it will be very hard for me even if I have map to go and steal them from there.....
    However, luckily I wached these vids and I find only benefit in them for all growers. The info that is nowhere in all net and people can learn useful things from them...
    Well done John!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a feeling that's why they were removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been numerous growers (from various countries) who have visited the site over the past decade(s) and none has posted such vids for a reason. There are also many different ways to share cultivation info.

The site is the only one of its kind, out of tens (if not of hundreds) of Cephalotus sites which are much less accessible. Losing it may not be equivalent to losing the species but is equivalent to losing a whole ecosystem. And because the site is unique, 99%+++ of Cephalotus plants do not grow in such conditions.

Having been there myself before, I would deeply appreciate it if the site can be kept intact so that future generations will have a chance to enjoy the beauty of nature. I thank those who has been conscientiously doing whatever they can to protect the site at CMB.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Having been there myself before, I would deeply appreciate it if the site can be kept intact so that future generations will have a chance to enjoy the beauty of nature. I thank those who has been conscientiously doing whatever they can to protect the site at CMB.
    Arguably, some of us may never make the trip to the site to enjoy their beauty first hand and their only means of admiring maybe through these movies. To play devil's advocate, it also seems a little elitist when someone says: "Oh yeah, I've been there... but you can't know where this is and you can't go there either because we're saving it for posterity and generations to come". What generations? Who gets to see them? What criteria makes those people the chosen few who get to experience them? There are darlingtonia sites right off the 101 in California. As far as I know, they don't get poached overnight. I know it's a tricky subject, and I'm not expecting answers as my questions are rhetorical and I don't have clear answers on the subject myself. But one thing is for sure: Our time on this earth is limited. Though we may appoint ourselves stewards of natural wonders, we can't protect something by hiding it from view - not for long anyways. That kind of approach seems selfish and limited. We need to find an new answer that will convince people that these plants are best admired in nature without having to take them.

We may declare ourselves to be conservationists - to want to preserve their natural environments and yet each and every one of us who keeps plants in terrariums, greenhouses and windowsills is a collector; poaching by proxy and helping sustain the illegal harvest of plants by creating the demand for them. The world at large doesn't know about cephalotus, only a small percentage of people who are interested in CPs. We need to point the finger back at us and admit that we create the problem that we profess to be against. Once we accept this, we can hopefully start to come up with answers on how to make the natural sites available to all and instill in people the desire to be satisfied with admiring without needing to possess.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast