Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ceph vid Coal mine beach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can't the video be re-uploaded without the location info?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Why can't the video be re-uploaded without the location info?
    Because the approximate location is already known. This video, however, narrows down on the actual place so you don't need to provide coordinates to find it, its pretty unique and video basically tells exactly where it's at. That's how I understood the situation anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this line of thoughts, I would like to add that when one is trying to hide something from others, it always becomes more tempting. The more you hide these things from people, the more will interest increase and "poachers ".respectively. There is no guarantees never however....

Why is there a disinformation on the subject - Cephalotus? Who benefits from this? To have few people who can grow them and everybody else to depend on them? Why did not need to search through the entire net or lose months seeking information about these plants on the forums? It could not be convinced of the contrary, because eight years is nothing new anywhere but at the same time how to receive this?
    Why should people ever be faced in front of the fear - these plants are difficult to grow and how do I keep them? Where are the answers? Should you ever be faced with a dilemma – try and error, error and try and etc.. while losing a dozen plants and years of experience and finally learn to grow them, if you have not given up till then . No, not. I am asking myself what I would do to help the others but not limited with the words - a lot of sun, high humidity,in greenhouse, in tanks, keep the soil moist but not wet, do not repot because they don’t tolerate repotting, disturbing... and so on…. most of which are clean urban legends and not helping anyone....my conditions are different from yours and reverse. What works for me may not work for you and reverce...., so many of the writen in the net, doesn't work... One person is to read something on the net or forums, quite different is a practice and very different is the person to have a chance to see them at least in vids, if not in live …...
    How do we help people for future generations as we hide cephs from them? ... How long?…Is this the way?...And finaly, what do we get at the end from all this....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    Arguably, some of us may never make the trip to the site to enjoy their beauty first hand and their only means of admiring maybe through these movies. To play devil's advocate, it also seems a little elitist when someone says: "Oh yeah, I've been there... but you can't know where this is and you can't go there either because we're saving it for posterity and generations to come". What generations? Who gets to see them? What criteria makes those people the chosen few who get to experience them? There are darlingtonia sites right off the 101 in California. As far as I know, they don't get poached overnight. I know it's a tricky subject, and I'm not expecting answers as my questions are rhetorical and I don't have clear answers on the subject myself. But one thing is for sure: Our time on this earth is limited. Though we may appoint ourselves stewards of natural wonders, we can't protect something by hiding it from view - not for long anyways. That kind of approach seems selfish and limited. We need to find an new answer that will convince people that these plants are best admired in nature without having to take them.

We may declare ourselves to be conservationists - to want to preserve their natural environments and yet each and every one of us who keeps plants in terrariums, greenhouses and windowsills is a collector; poaching by proxy and helping sustain the illegal harvest of plants by creating the demand for them. The world at large doesn't know about cephalotus, only a small percentage of people who are interested in CPs. We need to point the finger back at us and admit that we create the problem that we profess to be against. Once we accept this, we can hopefully start to come up with answers on how to make the natural sites available to all and instill in people the desire to be satisfied with admiring without needing to possess.
    Although I understand and respect Cindy's perspective and perhaps may even think it's the right idea, I'd like to say Kudos for this tid bit, Brokken. It's an extremely valid point and one that has been and should still be discussed amongst all carnivorous plant growers.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    We may declare ourselves to be conservationists - to want to preserve their natural environments and yet each and every one of us who keeps plants in terrariums, greenhouses and windowsills is a collector; poaching by proxy and helping sustain the illegal harvest of plants by creating the demand for them. The world at large doesn't know about cephalotus, only a small percentage of people who are interested in CPs. We need to point the finger back at us and admit that we create the problem that we profess to be against. Once we accept this, we can hopefully start to come up with answers on how to make the natural sites available to all and instill in people the desire to be satisfied with admiring without needing to possess.
    Could not have put it better myself, thank you for putting into words what I could not. My thoughts after thinking about this for a while is that people who are in the business of poaching for profit will find these sites no matter what anyway. I believe the benefit of education through these videos outweighs the risk. I also think the high price for cephalotus encourages poaching because these are not rare in cultivation, can puchase easily for a hefty price...and maybe this is what should be addressed as one means to protect them in the wild.
    Last edited by DJ57; 12-08-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that we need to mass TC so many cephalotus that we can sell them for 5.99 a pound. That should put any poachers out of business...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    I think that we need to mass TC so many cephalotus that we can sell them for 5.99 a pound. That should put any poachers out of business...
    Populations of native VFTs have shown that this is not true...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, We have to try to conserve these places but we should also be able to admire them.
    Last edited by Heli; 12-08-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast