What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph vid Coal mine beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
none

vids removed as requested !!

Last edited:
Awesome videos! Thanks for sharing.

Is the degradation of the cliff face natural? Perhaps those Cephalotus have been growing and repopulating the area for a long time in that manner? Or is the collapse of that habitat relatively recent?

Very cool! Hopefully the island doesn't succumb to saltwater intrusion.

Wonderful videos!! Thank you. Can any of the ones at risk be saved, perhaps transplanted in another location less vulnerable? Poor things. Anyway, really enjoyed the video of them in their natural state, good job. :-D

Great informative videos. Thank you for sharing. :)

Great videos! Thanks for sharing!!

have been requested to remove these vid's
J

Last edited:
Darn, wanted hubby to see them but came home too late. :crap:

why was it removed??

Here is my exact pm to snapperhead51...The removal is his own doing.

I do not like being maligned and have my fellow mods being placed under suspicion as well.

Cindy said:
Hi,

I am sure you are excited to share about your trip but could you consider removing/down playing the location of the Cephs in the forum? Coal Mine beach is easily found with the use of a map and with your vids, it makes it even easier to locate the plants.

Hope that something like the following does not happen again...it was right after someone posted about their trip to WA.

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cephalotus&action=display&thread=2402

Thanks loads,
Cindy

That's fine Cindy but I don't think that with these vids this would happen again that u point only because snapperhead51 put them here. There is no guarantee that poaching will not happen again even without them, is that? Beside this it will be very hard for me even if I have map to go and steal them from there.....
However, luckily I wached these vids and I find only benefit in them for all growers. The info that is nowhere in all net and people can learn useful things from them...
Well done John!

I had a feeling that's why they were removed.

There have been numerous growers (from various countries) who have visited the site over the past decade(s) and none has posted such vids for a reason. There are also many different ways to share cultivation info.

The site is the only one of its kind, out of tens (if not of hundreds) of Cephalotus sites which are much less accessible. Losing it may not be equivalent to losing the species but is equivalent to losing a whole ecosystem. And because the site is unique, 99%+++ of Cephalotus plants do not grow in such conditions.

Having been there myself before, I would deeply appreciate it if the site can be kept intact so that future generations will have a chance to enjoy the beauty of nature. I thank those who has been conscientiously doing whatever they can to protect the site at CMB.

Having been there myself before, I would deeply appreciate it if the site can be kept intact so that future generations will have a chance to enjoy the beauty of nature. I thank those who has been conscientiously doing whatever they can to protect the site at CMB.

Arguably, some of us may never make the trip to the site to enjoy their beauty first hand and their only means of admiring maybe through these movies. To play devil's advocate, it also seems a little elitist when someone says: "Oh yeah, I've been there... but you can't know where this is and you can't go there either because we're saving it for posterity and generations to come". What generations? Who gets to see them? What criteria makes those people the chosen few who get to experience them? There are darlingtonia sites right off the 101 in California. As far as I know, they don't get poached overnight. I know it's a tricky subject, and I'm not expecting answers as my questions are rhetorical and I don't have clear answers on the subject myself. But one thing is for sure: Our time on this earth is limited. Though we may appoint ourselves stewards of natural wonders, we can't protect something by hiding it from view - not for long anyways. That kind of approach seems selfish and limited. We need to find an new answer that will convince people that these plants are best admired in nature without having to take them.

We may declare ourselves to be conservationists - to want to preserve their natural environments and yet each and every one of us who keeps plants in terrariums, greenhouses and windowsills is a collector; poaching by proxy and helping sustain the illegal harvest of plants by creating the demand for them. The world at large doesn't know about cephalotus, only a small percentage of people who are interested in CPs. We need to point the finger back at us and admit that we create the problem that we profess to be against. Once we accept this, we can hopefully start to come up with answers on how to make the natural sites available to all and instill in people the desire to be satisfied with admiring without needing to possess.

Why can't the video be re-uploaded without the location info?

Why can't the video be re-uploaded without the location info?

Because the approximate location is already known. This video, however, narrows down on the actual place so you don't need to provide coordinates to find it, its pretty unique and video basically tells exactly where it's at. That's how I understood the situation anyway.

In this line of thoughts, I would like to add that when one is trying to hide something from others, it always becomes more tempting. The more you hide these things from people, the more will interest increase and "poachers ".respectively. There is no guarantees never however....

Why is there a disinformation on the subject - Cephalotus? Who benefits from this? To have few people who can grow them and everybody else to depend on them? Why did not need to search through the entire net or lose months seeking information about these plants on the forums? It could not be convinced of the contrary, because eight years is nothing new anywhere but at the same time how to receive this?
Why should people ever be faced in front of the fear - these plants are difficult to grow and how do I keep them? Where are the answers? Should you ever be faced with a dilemma – try and error, error and try and etc.. while losing a dozen plants and years of experience and finally learn to grow them, if you have not given up till then . No, not. I am asking myself what I would do to help the others but not limited with the words - a lot of sun, high humidity,in greenhouse, in tanks, keep the soil moist but not wet, do not repot because they don’t tolerate repotting, disturbing... and so on…. most of which are clean urban legends and not helping anyone....my conditions are different from yours and reverse. What works for me may not work for you and reverce...., so many of the writen in the net, doesn't work... One person is to read something on the net or forums, quite different is a practice and very different is the person to have a chance to see them at least in vids, if not in live …...
How do we help people for future generations as we hide cephs from them? ... How long?…Is this the way?...And finaly, what do we get at the end from all this....

Arguably, some of us may never make the trip to the site to enjoy their beauty first hand and their only means of admiring maybe through these movies. To play devil's advocate, it also seems a little elitist when someone says: "Oh yeah, I've been there... but you can't know where this is and you can't go there either because we're saving it for posterity and generations to come". What generations? Who gets to see them? What criteria makes those people the chosen few who get to experience them? There are darlingtonia sites right off the 101 in California. As far as I know, they don't get poached overnight. I know it's a tricky subject, and I'm not expecting answers as my questions are rhetorical and I don't have clear answers on the subject myself. But one thing is for sure: Our time on this earth is limited. Though we may appoint ourselves stewards of natural wonders, we can't protect something by hiding it from view - not for long anyways. That kind of approach seems selfish and limited. We need to find an new answer that will convince people that these plants are best admired in nature without having to take them.

We may declare ourselves to be conservationists - to want to preserve their natural environments and yet each and every one of us who keeps plants in terrariums, greenhouses and windowsills is a collector; poaching by proxy and helping sustain the illegal harvest of plants by creating the demand for them. The world at large doesn't know about cephalotus, only a small percentage of people who are interested in CPs. We need to point the finger back at us and admit that we create the problem that we profess to be against. Once we accept this, we can hopefully start to come up with answers on how to make the natural sites available to all and instill in people the desire to be satisfied with admiring without needing to possess.

Although I understand and respect Cindy's perspective and perhaps may even think it's the right idea, I'd like to say Kudos for this tid bit, Brokken. It's an extremely valid point and one that has been and should still be discussed amongst all carnivorous plant growers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back