What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarracenia rubra help

i have two sarracenia rubra plants. they are medium size, one of them has about 5 of the larger pitchers turning red and the other has 2 red pitchers. 3 weeks ago each one produced 4-5 very small and short green pitchers. but none of the other pitchers are dying off. do the small pitchers indicate dormancy? they are growing inside and havent had a change of temperature but are getting less light. should i move the plant to a cold window now? or is it too late? and also if its entering dormancy should i cut off the pitchers before moving it to a cold window? any advice would be appreciated!
thanks!

A couple of my young sarrs (including my S. rubra jonesii) also reverted to producing some juvenile pitchers once it started getting cold... I figure it's just normal behavior for small sarrs entering dormancy because they still want to catch insects, but don't want to put out a "normal" pitcher in case a hard freeze comes and all that effort is wasted. Your plants are likely doing this in response to the the shorter photoperiod. If you have a cold window to put the plants by, it would probably be a good time to that.

My S. jonesii does that when winter approaches. S. flava daes the same thing. It's a normal dormancy behavior. It definitely needs colder temps now.

what is the size of the plants? I'd say anything over maybe... 3-4 inches tall and i'd highly recommend dormancy
aka cold temperatures near the 30s

Mine did that month but it turned out to just be a new growth point

ok thanks for the advice guys!
i put it in a cold window and cut of some of the leaves

You want to avoid cutting any green leaves. Even though the plants are going dormant, they will continue to photosynthesize as long as they can. No harm in cutting off dead parts but leave any green leaves.

yeah i just got off the leaves that were browning,
thanks!

Back