What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More snow pics

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
More snow pics added a couple days later

This is what my backyard CPs looked like on Sunday after a light snow fall.

My darlingtonia pond setup. Water flows from the top down through the moss and out into the pond.

Darlingtoniasetupinsnow2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Cobraplantsinsnow2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Darlingtonia.jpg
[/IMG]

The CP bog garden

Boginsnow2012.jpg
[/IMG]

ScarletBellinsnow.jpg
[/IMG]

Tarnokinsnow.jpg
[/IMG]

Seeds stratifying in pots

Seedpots.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice end to the snow shower

IMG_9604x1.jpg
[/IMG]

And now from a couple days later

The bog now almost completely buried

Thebog.jpg
[/IMG]

My Darlingtonia makeshift "fen" now completely buried

Darlingtoniafensetupinsnow2.jpg
[/IMG]

The "nursery" pots...natural stratification at work

Seedpotsburied.jpg
[/IMG]

Judith Hindle under 3-4 inches of snow

JudithHindleburiedinsnow.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Beautiful! I really like the Darlingtonia bog. :)

Wow, very nice, love the darlingtonias under the snow! :)

OOoo Cool!

Nice, can't wait to see everything this summer!

You dont feel the need to cover 'em with pine needles or anything?

UstuckinTime: You dont feel the need to cover 'em with pine needles or anything?

Naw, the snow insulates them. I only cover when there is a freezing wind or sustained freezing temps without snow for an extended period of time of a few days or more, which we usually don't get here, wams to above feezing during the day and snow only for a few days at a time in winter. The only thing I need to mulch is the regia.

makes me want to go put my sarr seeds in pots outside...

UstuckinTime: You dont feel the need to cover 'em with pine needles or anything?

Naw, the snow insulates them. I only cover when there is a freezing wind or sustained freezing temps without snow for an extended period of time of a few days or more, which we usually don't get here, wams to above feezing during the day and snow only for a few days at a time in winter. The only thing I need to mulch is the regia.

Very nice. Here in New England, I'm still to paranoid about letting my plants overwinter outside. The best I've done so far is letting them sleep in the bulkhead. But they're frozen solid now, so, we'll see what the damage is come spring...

Very nice. Here in New England, I'm still to paranoid about letting my plants overwinter outside. The best I've done so far is letting them sleep in the bulkhead. But they're frozen solid now, so, we'll see what the damage is come spring...

Yeah, you guys get more severe winter weather than we do here. When we get freezing temps, it usually warms up during the day to thaw everything out, but we have had some winters with freezing temps 24/7 for days and the sarrs have always bounced back in spring like nothing happened. That is in a bog situation though, potted ones are not so lucky.

Back