What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stratifying a few more seeds

Just one of my Sarracenia crosses.
1005707800x601.jpg

Using the simple paper towel method and snack bags as I always do.
1005702800x601.jpg

Just folded the above damp paper towel over the seeds.
1005703800x601.jpg

And off into the snack bag. I tape the empty seed packet to the bag and date it.
1005708800x601.jpg

This is my second round of seeds for the season. I have 20 bags already in the fridge.
1005711800x601.jpg

We're gonna need a bigger boat.. err.. fridge.

Lucky man. Cant wait to see what comes from these.

That's a lot of seeds! How do you prevent fungus?

That's a lot of seeds! How do you prevent fungus?

I'm not sure...I've never really had any during the strat process so I haven't had to deal with it.

I add a few drops of peroxide to my water and my contamination is much lower.

Holy Cow. O___O Do you have a growlist? Must be a lot of plants to get this many seeds and crosses.

Fred do you treat your seeds with anything before stratifying? I am about to stratify some seeds and was thining of doing a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water but thought I would ask first.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Sorry I missed the part about not stratifying with anything. I know bleach is used to sterilize seeds for cultureing. Would leaving them in the solution hurt them in the stratifying process?

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Also how long do you strat yout seeds? is 2 weeks sufficient?

Peroxide works like a charm JB and has never hurt my seeds.

Thanks I will pick up a fresh bottle.

Holy Cow. O___O Do you have a growlist? Must be a lot of plants to get this many seeds and crosses.

Yes Eric, I have a grow list and yes, it's a lot of plants. :-O I did about 80 crosses last spring.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Fred do you treat your seeds with anything before stratifying? I am about to stratify some seeds and was thining of doing a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water but thought I would ask first.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Sorry I missed the part about not stratifying with anything. I know bleach is used to sterilize seeds for cultureing. Would leaving them in the solution hurt them in the stratifying process?

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Also how long do you strat yout seeds? is 2 weeks sufficient?

Correct JB, I never use anything on my seeds and I never have a mold/fungus problem. I don't think I would leave them in a bleach solution during stratification. Just doesn't sound benefcial to the seed itself to leave them in it for so long a period.

2 weeks of stratification usually is not enough for Sarrs. I strat for 4-5 on average but never less than 4. I usually get almost a 100 % strike rate with 4-5 weeks of strat.

Thankyou for the info Fred. I used peroxide. After a while it turns to pure water anyway. I set my calendar for just over four weeks on a day I would be off. I'm going to use the 24 hr light method outlined by bugweed. If I get strikes It will be my first time growing from seeds.

Good luck JB!

Back